Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sick of the rashes! It seems either one girl or the other has a rash everyday. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I use prefolds, fitteds, and AIO's (Kushies, Bum-Ware, and Bumkins). There's no hemp, and I do use wool soakers on occasion.

Here's my wash routine:

Cold rinse, hot wash with 1/3 cap of Era, cold rinse. I will do a hot rinse to see if there's suds about once a week. Then if there is, I'll do another hot rinse.

Is this a build-up problem? I don't think its their diet. The rash looks like a sun burn, but doesn't feel hot. Its not yeast, we've dealt with that before a long time ago. Its more toward the front on their private parts than on their bum.

PLEASE HELP ME! DH is getting frustrated too, seeing all the money I've spent on diapers and they can't wear them.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I agree- it could be the brand of detergent. I can't use ALL F&C on my DS but he has no problem with any other detergent I have tried.

I have also heard that liquid detergents aren't the best for some people. Could you try using a "free" (no dyes or perfumes) powder detergent? I would use even less than 1/3 cup, though. Just use a few tablespoons per load.

I would also suggest stripping your diapers to make sure none of the detergent is left behind. Then try the new detergent.

Good Luck- and don't give up...we'll help you figure this out!

·
Registered
258 Posts
vinegar during the rinse cycle. i wash my diapers with 1/2 cup baking soda...thats it.
my babe had thar red spread...it got a bit scally at times...thought it was a rubbing thing...just on inner thighs

i used a beeswax comfrey lavendar salve from www.creationherbal.com and also ive found red clay powder works great applied withe a cotton ball excellent for rashes.

what is in your wipe spray? i use water and 100% aloe juice

really saturate with spray when you change diapers...i thought it also might be because i wasnt getting all the pee off my babes skin.

your covers? material rubbing? what cleaned with? how often? elastic rub?

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
Try changing your detergent.

I'll also ask how often you're changing diapers. I know that it's hard when you have 2 in diapers (BTDT), it's easy to go too long between changes. When we have problems with rash, that's usually the reason. I've also found that fleece liners make a big difference overnight. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just a rectangle of cheap fleece next to baby's skin to keep the skin drier.

Have you tried any creams to help with the rashes? A favorite at our house is the miracle salve from Kerry's Herbals

·
Premium Member
6,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the responses! I change both of them at the same time otherwise it does slip my mind. Every 1.5-2 hours at the longest, usually sooner. I do use fleece liners in every diaper. I use plain water to wipe them down with, sometimes I'll use a drop of baby soap ona wipe, then use another to rinse them off, and another to dry.

I'll try washing without any detergent til I can get some different stuff, and try the BS & vinegar wash to see if that helps.

Thank you ladies so very much!

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I think Era has enzymes. I seem to remember that was a selling point in a tv ad they did. Enzymes in detergent are often the cause of rashes/skin reactions.

Maybe see if switching to another enzyme-free detergent might work. A lot of times the cheapest brands have no enzymes, if you can't find Allen's Naturally or BioKleen or something.

We have used Purex with pretty good results, the powder. I find I can't use liquid detergent with good results. I get buildup.

HTH!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
My babe has a problem with rashes. I can't use fleece on her bum, or she breaks out. Switching that out smeemed to make the biggest difference. I also switched to Tide Free from All Free Clear, and only use about 1/10 of a scoop of powder detergent. I don't do any pre rinses, wash in hot, and one cold water rinse. This seems to be the best formula for me, but even so she still has rashes once in a while. Before, her rash looked like a sunburn, was hot, and her skin was tight. She even had a tiny bit of bleeding from her skin being so tight. It isn't like that anymore, thank goodness.

She tested negitive for yeast, but I believe it IS yeast, and I need to treat my diapers for it (well, she's going up a size, so I don't know if I still will treat them). I use miconozole antifungal cream on her bum about ever other day and that seems to help. I also let her go about 15 minutes or so without her diaper a couple times a day. I'm still trying to figure out what the best course of action is for her poor little bum, but it's getting better and we're learning more and more.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Along with the suggestion others made to try less detergent, also make sure you're using enough! We had rash problems and they were fixed when I used more detergent. It turned out my water was really hard and I need about 1/2 cap of Tide to make it work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.