Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else here suffer from too much gas (by that I'm including both burping and farting), especially at night before bed? Has anything helped you?

I'm blaming this on poor digestion, not pregnancy, because I remember having it almost two years ago, too, not just during this pregnancy - that was between babies. I'm posting about it here, though, because remedies would probably have to be tailored to be safe for baby.

Last night (don't read this if you get grossed out easily) I farted so much as I was falling asleep, and while I slept, that when my husband came to bed around 2 AM and I got up to take my thyroid pill, the whole bedroom smelled so bad. I think the only reason he stayed in bed with me was because he was so tired - normally he would have gone back to his computer or slept somewhere else. I hoped that breathing it wouldn't be bad for my baby; I almost threw up at one point - didn't feel nauseus so I figured it was from the smell.

Tonight's problem happens more often for me: I feel the need to burp, and if I can't burp, it's hard to breathe. I don't know if it's related, but I have BMs at least twice a day normally.

Troubleshooting, I've wondered:
Am I hydrated enough? (Probably not. I'll drink more water before going to sleep.)
Was it something I ate? I'm thinking about writing down what I eat and symptoms for a while to help me figure it out.

Thanks to anyone who has read this far and started thinking of helpful solutions instead of just getting grossed out and moving on.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I asked my midwives about the bloating I was having (complete with the feeling like I wanted to burp but couldn't) and they suggested smaller meals, drinking more water, and if I was really desperate, I could use gas relief with simethicone. I have the simethicone, but haven't felt the need to use it yet. I find walking/moving helpful, fizzy water (I love Dasani sparkling unsweetened flavored water) helps me burp, and drinking more water has helped things seem to move faster. It was the worst around 22-23 weeks, got better from 24-25 weeks, and now it's back again at 26 weeks. :p

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, stardogs. When I was writing to a friend about it I remembered that I hadn't drank the tea she told me about that night. Here is the recipe; she gave it to me for keeping female yeast levels down but it includes apple cider vinegar, which she said is good for digestion, and since I started drinking it nightly again I've still been farting but haven't had that much of a problem with burping:

Ingredients:
3/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp ginger
7 drops 2% cinnamon oil or 1/3 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/8 tsp cayenne peppers
1/2 tsp raw honey (if no yeast infection present; if yeast infection, substitute stevia)

Just put it all in your favorite tea cup or coffee mug and pour hot or boiling water. I put everything except the honey in, then the hot water, and add honey and mix.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts