Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS is 20 months and we want him to spend at least a couple of nights in his own room. Problem is, if you put him in his crib, he completly freaks out about being left alone. We thought about going ahead with turning his crib into the bed and seeing how that works. I've waited until he was sleeping and slipped him in his crib, only to wake up to him screaming and the neighbors banging on the wall, which freaks him out more. o_O

How do we start to ease him into his room? Is it too soon? I'm gone at night, so he's used to cuddling up with DH at night, and I'm napping with him when he takes his daytime nap, since I'm up all day with him, I'm ready to crash when he's ready to nap. My family says we've spoiled him and we'll never be able to get him out of the bed without a fight, but to us, he feels safe and secure and there's nothing wrong with that, we just want a night or 2 to ourselves. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
i hate to be a party pooper here, but 20 months was too young for my kids. they needed to feel us close. my 8 yo still likes to be close to me.
i dont think you have spoiled him. you have simply loved him alot. as someone says on there, fruit spoils, not children.

im curious. you say you are gone at night. are you wanting him to sleep in his own bed while you are gone? if you aren't there, he may know that and need the extra security from your dh.
have you considered side-carring his bed? thats what we did with E's bed about a month ago (he's only 7 months) and although he doesnt sleep in there per se, he is learning to a bit more each night...b/c he just really needs the extra space our queen size bed doesnt provide. i guess i would try to put his bed in your room and transition that way. then perhaps transition to the hallway, and then his room (fi he can handle it).
i only read The Happiest Baby on the Block but i know there is also a The Happiest Toddler on teh Block.

good luck!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just talked to hubby again and he said he has no problems at all with DS being with him while I'm at work, or really anytime. While I thought he was getting tired of it,he's really not. What we really want is a night or two to ourselves, like on my off nights. Since he works days and I work night, we barely see each other.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.