Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new carrier and thinking about a mei tai. They look a little intimidating, especially getting the baby on my back, which is how I plan to carry Ds most of the time.

So, are they as hard to figure out as they look? I'm fairly clumsy by nature
so just assume I'll have a harder time than most people.

thanks,
~Nay

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'm far from graceful, myself, and I've worked up to back carries after a couple of months doing just front carries. I think you can learn to do it too
It helps if you can see someone do it ("in real life" is best, but videos help too.)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I just tried a back carry for the first time with a wiggly, grumpy baby and managed to make it work. But I took her down pretty fast, she was so grumpy and complaining. I plan to do this more often, as the benifits of having two hands and no baby in front of you are huge! My mei tai (I made it!) is now my favorite carrier ,so comfy for both of us - DD loves to fall asleep in it - and so easy to use.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Lisa, I say "may tie". Long A, long I.

I think mei tais are really easy to use! If you're nervous about back carries, practice a few times at home over a soft surface like a bed and check how things look in the mirror. After a few tries you'll probably have a good feel for it and be able to put it on any old place.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I think MTs are really easy to use. At first, the back carry was scary when I started with my then 8 week old so I did it on the bed at first. I actually haven't had any mishaps since I've been wearing him on my back, and he is now 13 months old. It's like with anything. It just takes practice.

Tereasa

·
Registered
994 Posts
Easy as can be for me. That says a lot, I have shoulder dystocia and have very limited mobility in my left arm. So I can basically get it on one handed. I haven't tried the back carry but I'm confident I could do it if I tried.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I got mine on a Thursday. By Sunday we were wearing it everywhere and putting her on in public (even for back carries). And I was a babywearing novice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If I was looking for a upright baby wearer for a newborn, would this be appropriate? I'm using a snuggli right now, and was using a standard side laying sling but couldn't get my daughter to lay in it comfortably once she started getting colicky/spitting up a lot/etc (I think she may have acid reflux) My daughter loves the snuggli but it seems like a big production getting her in and out and so we only use it when we're out of the house.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I've really only used mei tais that I sewed myself..
I'm getting a Kozy and a Freehand soon, though, because I've heard good things about them and their looks appealed to me.

Baelzharon, some people do use them for newborns although I'm not sure how common it is exactly.. I think another (more all-over supportive) option for upright with newborns would be a stretchy wrap, or people also do tummy-to-tummy carries with ring slings and pouches (I am awful at that carry so I'm not sure what age people do it at actually but I'm sure someone will know.)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I like the Sachi and Freehand best. The Kozy seemed too long for us. Abby was tiny and didn't like her head covered. I thought it was a hassle to roll up the bottom. But my Kozy was so pretty (sigh).

·
Registered
820 Posts
I loooove my BabyHawk- the prints are so cool, the mama who makes them is great and really available if you ever have any questions. I had a carrier that was similar to the Kozy in shape and it was just too wide and too long for dd. I have a fairly small gal who likes to see above the fabric, so the BabyHawk was a good fit for us. It still provides enough head support when she's sleeping in the mei tai, so it's all good. There's also an extra long BabyHawk too. I found it really easy to use, and really comfy. The bit of extra effort required is really worth it in terms of comfort and ease.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Funny, I always said "my tie," like the drink.

I have a Sachi, and it's pretty easy to use. I can get dd on my back without a lot of fuss. I usually only reach for my Sachi if we're on a long trek - on an evening walk or exploring the Zoo.

Dd is not crazy about the Mei Tai. At 16 months, she's still petite. In the front carry, the straps bother her.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I guess I'm just not as coordinated as the rest of you.
Granted, I'm a total novice and my dd is 14 months old and 24lbs, but I just can't seem to figure it much, much less look graceful doing it.

I just got my mei tei last week and have tried everyday since to get dd into the sling. I've tried the front carry (facing out and facing in) and the hip carry and I just can't seem to get those darn straps over my shoulders, in the right spot, tight enough and tied in the right place. It get's tiring trying to hold baby and attempt getting the sling tied tight and my daughter then gets frustrated and starts to fuss. And then I give up.

I will keep trying because I know once I get the hang of it, we're both going to love it. If anyone has any tips or suggestions for getting the mei tei on and comfortable, I'd love to hear them.

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
I love my Kozy

I practiced with dh a few times to get the back carry. Now I can do it myself
:

I wore him for 4 1/2 hours on my back yesterday.

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
Oh....and Angelo is 13months and about 25lbs

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.