Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to purchase all my prefolds now that i have the money available and wanted to know how many diapers i should purchase...

I have 18 regular prefolds
2 infant ones(i didnt know how good these fit trifolded and laid in the cover until my diaper fairy sent me a gift...:LOL)
4 premiums

and thats it

I have on the way(i think) 12 ME OS diapers used
and thats it...lol funny how my stash turned from expensive to cheap in less than 2 days....

So how many more prefolds do i need? I change Arian about 12 times a day and i wash every 2 days...

Any advice from you knowledgable moms...I think that i dont need as many premiump prefolds as regulars but i could be totally wrong..Bear with me as my CPF information library expands....

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
If you use 12 dipes a day and wash every 2nd day then you would need 36 dipes (enough for 2 days and then for wash day as well).

How do you like the regulars compared to the premiums? If you think you will use regulars the most, I would get maybe 30 regulars and 6 premiums.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
329 Posts
Sorry, I really have no idea how many you would need but, I wanted to comment on the regular size prefolds. I bought 1 to sample and although I like how soft it is and that it is slightly smaller than the premium size. I found that if I snappied it the snappi teeth went right through and poked Nate. I don't know if it's because of the weave but it wasn't good
If I'm using a wrap style cover I just lay an infant size prefold in there w/ a doubler. Although Nate is 22 lbs and almost 10 months I think I still use my infant prefolds more than any other diaper. I'm actually thinking about getting some more!

·
Registered
11,527 Posts
Definately keep extra dipes on hand because you never know when the diarrhea is going to hit. I have about 24 dipes that are in regular rotation for ds but I keep 12 prefolds on ready reserve. For a newborn, at least 36 dipes. I know some people do it with less though but that is how many I would have.

·
Registered
13,016 Posts
Okay, this has been my personal experience with my 2 day wash cycle.

Newborns (3 dozen)
12 to 15 diapers a day.
I don't think you can avoid Infant size if you want a great fit - so I say go for 2 dozen 6-ply and 1 dozen 8-ply.
If you secure with snappi or pins, you can get away with 6 covers.
If you do not secure with snappi or pins, but only use wraps, I would go for no less than 9.

5 to about 15 months (2 1/2 to 3 dozen)
It changes during this time, but an average of 7 to 9 changes daily over the course of time.
If you are willing to change more and looking for trimness, make the majority of those Regular 6-ply and keep 8-ply on hand for naps/night time/traveling (long car rides), etc. . .
If you want to work in Fitteds, you'll need less 8-ply.
No more than 6 covers really necessary.

16 to 30 months: (2 dozen)
Really an average of about 6 to 7 diaper changes a day.
I would use all Premium at this point - unless you are tri-folding into wraps. If doing that and not securing with pins or a snappi, you may prefer the 6-ply and hold on to 8-ply for nights only.
**The advantage being that you probably already have what you need from the 5 to 15 month stage.
No more than 6 covers are really necessary.

So, break it down
Infant 6-ply: 2 dozen
Infant 8-ply: 1 dozen
Regular 6-ply: 2 dozen
Premium 8-ply: 1 dozen

Hold off on Toddler Sizes, because many never need them.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by trishshack
Definately keep extra dipes on hand because you never know when the diarrhea is going to hit.

You totally cursed me....Arian just had a bad flop...Im going to check if he goes again and if its that type of stool again then im running to the ped today...im just hoping since he didnt go in 2 days he finally bursted *crossing my fingers*....

Heather thank you sooo much for that break down thats what i thought but i wanted to confirm....Also can you use the CPFs you have on hand for a next baby?? Or do they wear much??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts