Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
that my grandmother (who was a pastors wife and a school teacher from about 1950 to 1990) didnt believe in vaxes! She also coslept and breastfed for two plus years. She raised all three of her sons this way. Unfortunatly, most of the 14 grandchildren were raised pretty mainstream. I am the first in the fam to not vax.

My grandma died last week, and i was talking to my papa about all of this. I asked him if they ever took any flack for the way they raised their family. He said not often, but if they did, they always had a "sassy" comment for the flack-giver. This from my 85 year old grandfather! I almost died!

As silly as it sounds (since I am a grown woman and all), after hearing that, i feel more confident in my parenting choices that sometimes seem so off the wall in mainstream suburbia!!

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
I think you should talke to your papa a lot, lot more huh?

My dad is 95, and comes from the non-vaxed, dragged around dirty locations of world and survived it school....

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Actually I'm confused. Was it your grandfather you were talking to, or your father?

Also, I think its more difficult these days than back then.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My grandfather. Hes normally pretty quiet, as my grandmother usually talked enough for everyone
: but he really lit up when i asked him about those subjects. I started asking about the cosleeping part. I was just floored when my dad told me that they co slept with all three boys. I just wouldnt have expected that from my grandma who was very religous and always struck me as a strict, hard person. But i've learned that people are not always what they seem. There are so many things I wish i had known about her when she was alive and well. I'm sure she was a wealth of knowledge. I definatly need to talk to my papa more! I planning to go back to MI (i'm in GA) (US, obviously), to help him sort through her stuff in a few weeks. Hopefully i'll be able to enjoy his company more than in previous years.

It weird, but i just dont feel so "out there" after knowing this info!

BTW, MT, thoroughly enjoyed the book, finished it in record time. Thank you for getting it to me

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Well, maybe you should take Landon with you and stay for a while. I'm sure your grandfather would be very happy to fill in all the gaps he can, and make sure you keep a good diary of it. You might want to write it up for the kids one day. And do the same with your Dad?

I'm glad you enjoyed the book. Anything to help people sort out the "whys" of "what" they want to do and why. The book though, is only one piece in the puzzle. You have to put in all the others.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I've noticed that I often find out things about people at their funerals, and later. My Grandma, my Dad, etc. My mom has Alzheimers and is in a nursing home now. We sold her house this spring, and there are so so so many things I'd like to ask her about, but there's no way I'd get a clear answer. She was making stuff up for years, when she didn't remember right, and now she can't even write her own name. MT is right, write down as much as you can.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
Do you know why she choose not to vac? I would be curious to hear what her reasons where.

IMO it would be most interesting

1 - 7 of 7 Posts