Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I haven't heard from my sister yet, so I am assuming she hasn't had the baby yet. Like I said, they don't have internet access, but my mom does and she lives about 20 minutes from them and they see eachother fairly frequently. I've been mulling it over all week because I honestly don't know if my involvement is going to help at this point. But, I just can't sit by. Every quiet moment I am thinking about what they might do and replaying that horrible, horrible video in my head. So, I just sent it to my mom. I was very hesitant to put her in the middle, but my sis told me that my mom did tell her she really regrets having my brother done (something my mom also told me a long time ago). I just have no other way of letting them know the true cruel reality of the situation.

Well, there's no turning back now. They will either thank me or never talk to me again. Which is fine, cause if they do it I don't think I will be able to ever look at them again anyway.

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
Have faith, and hope. What about calling them again, to let them know about the video? Beg that they watch it before making any final, irrevocable decisions...remind them that they can actually take their time and make a decision, there is nothing that says a circ can't wait for a week or two after birth!

Don't forget about the flipside....the "what is the foreskin for" part. Either the video at Doctors Opposing Circ or the page at http://research.cirp.org is good.

Good luck, mama. All my fingers and toes are crossed for you and your nephew.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Quote:
Well, there's no turning back now. They will either thank me or never talk to me again. Which is fine, cause if they do it I don't think I will be able to ever look at them again anyway.
I was in a similar situation. I was worried about the relationship crumbling if i "did all that I could". But I wanted to advocate for that child to the very end.

I finally decided that advocating for children was so deeply apart of who i was...that there was absolutely no way around it. I truly did all that i could to save that child from needless genital cutting. I failed too.

The relationship was never solid enough to withstand my "input".....it died not too long after that. Truth be told, it was no big loss to me.

You did the right thing. I am so sorry that you are feeling so blue right now. I know how you feel. We are compelled to speak up for those who can't speak for themselves. You did just that.
You are a great sister, better then the one I have. I wish i could make you my sister.
kathleen

·
Registered
682 Posts
Are ya'll talking about that link of the graphic circ and the baby SCREAMING?
I too sent that to my sister who is 38weeks with her 1st ( well, actually her 2nd, her REAL 1st she had suctioned out of her cause she didn't want it
)
She doesn't know what the sex of this baby is, but she has made it clear that she will circ a boy for the cosmetic look of a circed penis, which I suppose appeals to her.....ewwww.
My dh got a little upset with me for getting involved, but my stance is, if I don't tell her she'll ignorantly get it done, not knowing what the procedure entails. If she chooses to after seeing the video clip, well, whatever

My dh thinks that by me sending her the link and if she chooses to still do it, that makes me appear to think she's stupid/and/or made a dumb choice. Well duh!!!! I can understand that he respects a womans right to choose however my sis is going about this ALL wrong, making her decision purely for cosmetic reasons.
I know, I know, I must be the MOST irritating sister

I am NOT looking forward to her babys' 2, 4, 6.....month doctors visits, I'll be on pins and needles knowing what she's injecting into her baby....MY neice/nephew.

BTW: in the time it took me to post my reply, my sis responded to the link I sent her and all she said was that *her* doc will give her baby meds so there'll be no pain...basically just dis-regarding the clip as if its not that common to be done that way

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Lact-o-mama:

to physically be there for the circ. to guarantee that her son gets a proper local. Topical gels don't do a darn thing for you when someone is cutting into your flesh. If she blindly hands him over...she will never really know what her baby will has to endure. I wouldn't just 'trust' anyone with my kid, even if he does have a fancy medical degree.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Ugh. I'll hope for a girl then, Lact-o-Mama.

alice. I hope this turns them around. Do you know if your mom has watched it, or asked them to come over and see it?

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't gotten a reply so I don't know what is up. They are 1000 miles from me so there is not much more I can do.

I have a question about the whole pain med things though. What exactly has to qualify? I mean really, that transcript of the things said during that video. Total BS. There was no anestesia (sp?). That doctor flat out lied. And I have read other places that a pacifier dipped in sugar water is sometimes used? WTF is that? Yes doctor, give me a lollipop while you cut things off my body? Good grief!! Anyway, of course my sister told me that their ped uses anestesia so he won't be in pain.
: Cause having pain medication injected into his penis won't hurt. Makes me want to strap her down and ........ you know.

All for something totally medically unnecessary. It will never, ever make sense to me.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Quote:
I have a question about the whole pain med things though. What exactly has to qualify? I mean really, that transcript of the things said during that video. Total BS. There was no anestesia (sp?). That doctor flat out lied. And I have read other places that a pacifier dipped in sugar water is sometimes used? WTF is that? Yes doctor, give me a lollipop while you cut things off my body? Good grief!!
What qualifies as pain meds? Everything and nothing i guess. Certainly a local anesthetic is the most effective way of not feeling the initial cutting. It is "surgery" so it seems inhuman NOT to give that. But darn, 2 injections into the base of the penis (I saw it once) hurts like hell too!

Sugar water is given on the premise that if you are psychologically stimulated with sugar you will then be happier. Warped!!!!

BTW, MD's always lie. Their medical degrees give them carte blanche to do so.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by coloradoalice

All for something totally medically unnecessary. It will never, ever make sense to me.
It is actually much worse than unnecessary. IT IS DAMAGING AND IRREVERSIBLE!!!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lact-o-Mama
( well, actually her 2nd, her REAL 1st she had suctioned out of her cause she didn't want it
)
hummmmm.....what about this comment is rubbing me the wrong way?

Guess that it's so insensitive to what must have been a very difficult choice for someone - and is a very difficult choice for many. I totally respect your right to disagree with that choice, I even respect your right to hate that choice. But to make it sound so trite is well.....insensitive.

Other than that....good for you for standing up for what you believe in....it is true that I'm not always liked for my opinions - but does it mean that I don't give them, especially if it could change someones mind? Of course not - I've known women to say, "I'm getting my son circumsized - but I cannot be in the room when it happens." How do you not speak up? In cases like this - I don't care about the uncomfortable silence that follows.

(Thanks coloradoalice for keeping me on topic)

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's been over 24 hours since I sent it and still nothing. Which is really weird. I'm wondering if my sis did have the baby and my mom is at their house watching my neice. That would explain not hearing from her. Or they have decided to do it no matter what and my mom just doesn't want to be the one to tell me.

Funny thing is we have decided to cancel our visit to see them after the baby comes reguardless because of the other issues we have to deal with like breastfeeding, co-sleeping, etc....... And I think they are probably all sweating it out how they are going to deal with us while we are there because they know I will be mad about what they are going to do (or have done?). I didn't want to tell them we weren't coming until after the baby was born, but I guess it really doesn't matter.

Sorry, that was fairly off topic!! As soon as I get news I will let you know.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bahhhhhhhhhhh

I finally heard from my mom, and of course she won't be any help. I figured but thought I'd try. She says it's a difference of opinion and we just have different conclusions. So I let her have it, gave her all my "opinions". Whatever. What can you do if people want to continue to be ignorant? Nothing really. They think I'm nuts, they won't ever listen to what I have to say because they have made their conclusion and that is that.

Poor baby, I really have no hope now that they won't do it.

I hate knowing that is the kind of welcome to the world he's gonna have. I think I hate doctors.
:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts