Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...what could it be from? I washed a load of diapers last night with no detergent -- just baking soda and TTO. I have been so scared to do this but I thought what the heck, if they dont come out clean I will just run them through again.

I was expecting to see a ton of suds when I opened the washer while it was agitating but nothing I mean NONE, not one bubble! So apparently they didnt have any build up at all. Now I havent tried them yet since they are on the drying rack at home but I am hoping they are still smell free and will be a bit softer.

Anyone know what would be causing stinky hemp and super strong amonia smell without buildup?

The amonia JUST started like 2 weeks ago. Until then we never had that problem.

·
Registered
138 Posts
If you have hard water, you may need to actually use MORE detergent than you've been using. Have you considered trying Sportwash or Sensi-Clean? One time wash with those and it should remove all funky odors.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by summiebee
try sunlight dishsoap, about a table spoon full...folow it by 3 hot washes...it helped up tons!
does it have to be sunlight? I have heard some say Dawn, would any dishsoap work?

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kim2002
If you have hard water, you may need to actually use MORE detergent than you've been using. Have you considered trying Sportwash or Sensi-Clean? One time wash with those and it should remove all funky odors.
We do have really hard water. I have tried sport wash but it didnt seem to make a difference. Do I need to use it a lot of washes in a row? I am scared to after hearing how it cause really bad rashes on some babies.
:

·
Registered
555 Posts
IS Max teething? My DD gets stinky pee diapers when shes teething the amonia will knock you over. Is he getting plenty of fluids doubly important for AZ heat, sometime stinky diapers can be a sign of dehydration.

Deanna

·
Registered
513 Posts
We have hard water and had a smelly hemp problem, once. My dh said not to boil because the whole house would stink. I was afraid to try it. Instead I filled the washer with cold water, added 2 Tbsp. bleach and let the hemp soak for about 15 min. After that we went to very simple washing. Cold rinse. Hot wash with squirt of Dawn and 1/4cup of Sun detergent and an extras cold rinse. I stopped adding baking soda and TTO. It has been about 8 months with no stink. I repeated the bleach soak one other time just because I was afraid of that smell. My DH was about to buy disposables if it didn't go away. My diapers have not faded at all because of the bleach and do not look as if they were harmed at all. I know it is a no no but I had to try someting.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Sorry to hijack you post however when you do find out, can you let me know also? Having same problem here. No bubbles in the water either. I ran them last night on with the water heater cranked as high as it would go with a little sportswash. No change.

I may try boiling them to see if that helps.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Hmmm I'd probably stay away from the sportwash until its your last resort. I know some people have said it can be harsh on the bums...

I agree that bleach might be the answer - remember when Boobymama was stripping all day? She finally used bleach and that did the trick.

As for dish soap -I think anything but 7th Generation (it sucks for us) should work - the more generic the better, actually.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Sorry to jump in here, but we had stinkers too. I did try to strip-no suds, and did the b/s tto also....still stinky...I know this probably sounds utterly ridiculous, but how do I know if I have hard water??

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had this problem, too. For over 1 year we had been using free and clear detergent with zero problems. Than BAMB! Stink-o-rama for no apparent reason and not just with hemp. I never noticed much bubbles in the wash but did everything to strip them anyway except boiling. It got better but would return after the regular wash routine was resumed. Now I use Tide (and a little Borax every now and then) and we don't have any problems. It's been a few months and no problems (I have lots of hemp and microfleece mixed with various other fabrics). I figure ds's pee just got stronger/different when he got older and the free and clear wasn't cutting' the mustard (pun intended) anymore. We do have hard water so maybe we needed something stronger as he got older. Of course, maybe it's just the scent in the Tide that is covering it up. Hope not.

Anyway, maybe just try a different detergent.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
here's a great link to info on hard water...http://www.ianr.unl.edu/pubs/water/nf94.htm

My understanding of this article is that bakingsoda really ins't going to be a particularly effective stripping agent in hard water. You can also have mineral build up which would leave a stink without nescessarily generating tons of suds.

As long as you aren't washing pocket diapers I would suggest trying again with calgon and just a tiny bit of detergent.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by scorpioqueen
IS Max teething? My DD gets stinky pee diapers when shes teething the amonia will knock you over. Is he getting plenty of fluids doubly important for AZ heat, sometime stinky diapers can be a sign of dehydration.

Deanna

here too. Last week when Eliza was just starting to pop a tooth through her diapers were phew
. Dh didn't even want to go near her until I had her changed but this week now that it is almost all the way through the ammonia smell has started to go away.

Also diet changes and not drinking enough water can do it too.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I dont think he is teething right now. He has his one year molars and I dont see anything else trying to come through.

We have always used Tide so maybe we just arent using enough? I think he is drinking enough -- I get a report from preschool everyday and it almost always says he drinks all his water at each meal and snack. Plus what he drinks at home, plus breast milk which is 90% water and green juice in the mornings/afternoons.

·
Registered
738 Posts
We just had this same issue. I think we also may have hard water. I did a no-detergent rinse and NO bubbles.

I ended up boiling all the hemp for about 20 minutes. Then I did a wash with a little more detergent that we normally use, some baking soda and quite a bit of TTO. Everything smells better! I hope it lasts.

I was using sportwash, BTW. We had no rashes from it, but it didn't help the smell and actually the smell was worse with it. I am using some regular detergent now - I think it's Surf or something like that, and it seems to be just fine.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Hi all...I have never posted in this forum but the title was on th main page and it caught my eye...

Am I the only one who tought the amonia smell was due to teething? I had heard a while back that babie have amonia smelling pee when they are teething and it has been 100% accurate for us...

Okay I just read back and saw that some of you already acknowledged this fact....I AGREE

1 - 18 of 18 Posts