Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is specific to those of us who choose not to vax.

Okay, so we know that the current method of treating tetanus by inducing paralysis, etc., frankly sucks and probably contributes to the negative outcomes of modern tetanus case. And we know, thanks to those nifty links from MT
that the prefered way to treat is massive theraputic doses of Sodium Ascorbate, Vitamin B and something else that escapes me at the moment.

So the question for discussion is this - How do we handle it if our child somehow happens to be one of the few who gets tetanus? How do we manage to convince the doctors to use alternative treatment without them getting a court order for medical custody? Is this even possible is the Western Hemisphere? Where would one even start? How do we save them from the powers that be making the situation worse than it already is. Obviously the best answer is to build up their immune systems to such that they wouldn't get tetanus in the first case, but for the sake of argument...

Any ideas?

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
chantui

Quote:
To relieve spasms and convulsions. It is indicated for: a) tetanus, for which it is used singly or taken after being decocted with rice wine, or being ground into powder and taken with yellow wine; or it is used together with arisaema [tiannanxing] and scorpion [quanxie]; b) infantile convulsion, for which it is often used with uncaria [gouteng] and scorpion.
http://www.itmonline.org/arts/chantui.htm

Quote:
Tetanus: For the specific bacterial disease tetanus, treatment was provided using a complex decoction that included cicada at 30 grams per day or with cicada powder used as a single ingredient (9-15 grams per dose, taken with wine, three times daily). A number of different and unspecified formulations, in which cicada was included, were also said to be effective.
HTH

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Sorry MITB.... I'd skip the cicada, scorpion and and other stuff and just opt for vitamin C and magnesium.

It's all there in the other stuff I wrote about tetanus. Not rehashing it.

But fact is, my kids under my roof aren't going to get tetanus anyway. I KNOW I'm doing enough that they can't and wont. It's called faith based on action.

And if they want to get stupid and get it later in life when they are 40+, I'm not likely to be around to worry about it.

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Momtezuma Tuatara
Sorry MITB.... I'd skip the cicada, scorpion and and other stuff and just opt for vitamin C and magnesium.
I was just offering alternatives like the OP suggested. Just trying to prove that there are other medicines that exist and work.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sebarnes
And we know, thanks to those nifty links from MT
that the prefered way to treat is massive theraputic doses of Sodium Ascorbate, Vitamin B and something else that escapes me at the moment.

The something else is proper wound care. It is something sadly lacking in most medical facilities. Frankly; I have seen so may conditions that could have been easily prevented from proper wound care that Tetanus is the least of my worries. I worry far more about Staph infections or Celullitis.

**ETA: I saw these conditions when I worked as a nurse.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I had a cut recently on my thumb that probably needed a stitch. It got red and inflamed when the bandaid was on after 2 days.(I kept the bandaid on to hold the skin together) I knew it needed to keep dry and 'air' to heal so no more bandaid once it was held together enough.

I also took my multivitmain, vit e and Magnesium and applied neosporin at night. In the mornings I used Hydrogen peroxide on it. It has completely healed like there was never anything there.

To directly answer your question..I don't see that my kids are a risk for tetanus either. I think you have to be confident in knowing how to treat things...know what to do and know what to look for if it doesn't look right, kwim? If you aren't, you will run to the doctor for every thing, as some parents do.

I would never put my children in harms way. By choosing to treat myself and my children my way first, is simply a choice we make.

julie

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
i agree with MT and the others (except im skipping the cicada and scorpian too
)

But if if ever does happen, to deal with the drs, keep saying its against your religous beliefs, over and over and over again.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Honestly the chances are so low I don't have time to make a specific game plan. FWIW I also don't have a specific treatment plan if dd gets struck by lightning (which is more likely) or bitten by a shark (which is MUCH more likely)

-Angela

·
Registered
151 Posts
I thought Tetanus was an extrememely rare condition. Why are they still advocating vaccination against it?

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rmeg
I thought Tetanus was an extrememely rare condition. Why are they still advocating vaccination against it?

$$$$

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna
Honestly the chances are so low I don't have time to make a specific game plan. FWIW I also don't have a specific treatment plan if dd gets struck by lightning (which is more likely) or bitten by a shark (which is MUCH more likely)

-Angela
i agree, my game plan for anything i dont want ds treated with is "religous beliefs, religous beliefs" it will get them off my back faster than anything else....also, in my state refusing medical care for religous reasons isnt medical neglect
so I'm covering my butt from CPS.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
Quote:

money, and to make it seem like its a scary deadly disease thats rampant, but since we have the vaccine we are all saved!

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna
FWIW I also don't have a specific treatment plan if dd gets struck by lightning (which is more likely) or bitten by a shark (which is MUCH more likely)

-Angela
True dat!

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay, I think that my previous post may have been convoluted (which is a common problem of mine
: ). I'm not worried about tetanus, and I obviously don't vax or have any inclination to. I was reading the tetanus threads which got my mind to musing on fighting the medical system when you have to come up against it in this CPS crazy world. So, maybe what I should have asked was "If your child had lockjaw, would you go to the hospital, and if you did, how would you go about getting them to treat with SA, Vit B and Magnesium. And since you could actually do this at home, would there be any reason to go to the hospital?"

·
Registered
10,813 Posts
Quote:

Prior to the introduction of the vax, there were just a few hundred cases and it had already been on a steady decline because of improved sanitary conditions and wound management.

Yet here we have a vaccine for a non-communicable disease mandatory for school entry in every state . . . and even some colleges.
:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Anyone know where I can get some scorpion? and cicada powder? I don't think my local health food store carries it...

I do love reading the "alternate" methods of doing things though. Just goes to prove that everyone WASN'T dying by the hoards of EVERYTHING a hundred or two or three years ago. Makes me frustrated sometimes that I have to relearn everything, instead of it being handed down as the "just whatcha do". That's okay; my dd will know some of that stuff, at least.

As far as the OP, I've been curious, too. What DO you do when you finally go to the doctor, for anything, not just tetnus. And does anyone use doctors for more than their handy-dandy high-tech equipment so they can get a lab result to treat themselves? Or, broken bones, I guess?

Yeah, religious beliefs... but can't that be harder to prove or to be consistent with when it's a route of treatment? not just a vax?

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuntMahee
Yeah, religious beliefs... but can't that be harder to prove or to be consistent with when it's a route of treatment? not just a vax?
nope, they legally can't ask you specifics on your religous beliefs.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I was wondering the same thing about the religous beliefs. How do you prove its against your religious beliefs if you don't belong to a"group". I don't got to a church etc. and I would call myself a buddhist if anything, so how do you prove things area gainst your RB if it is necessary. Will just saying it is against my religous beliefs do? Also is it against the religious beliefs oif buddhists? What religions is it documented to be against their beliefs? Like suppose you say It's against my RB and I'm a Christian...Then they think well I know many Christians who vax etc so this person is just making this up? Anyway I have wondered about this for some time thanks for posing the question.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
you dont have to belong to a group........and you legally can't be made to prove its against your religous beliefs.....either way, you as a person can have any religious belief you want weither it be bible based or not.

you can be religously opposed to any treatment that isnt faith healing once finding out the diagnosis.....and noone can stop you (unless your a minor).

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecurlycue
I was wondering the same thing about the religous beliefs. How do you prove its against your religious beliefs if you don't belong to a"group".
It is illegal for anyone to ask you what your religion is. It is in your First Amendment.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts