Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in school for speech 101. It's supposed to be a persuasive speech. And I am hoping to persuade others not to circumcise baby boys. I need to have three main points (plus at least four references). I don't know much about circumcision other than that I am never going to do that to any sons I may have. How do you think I can organize my speech? Any advice you might have will be greatly appreciated. TIA

·
Registered
779 Posts
WONDERFUL idea. I highly suggest the showing of the video that was postd on here recently.
If that is not 'persusive' enough, well... people are just dumb and cold hearted!
:

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
I'd organize around your 3 points... there are so many ways to do it but I'd probably choose:

biological/medical-- what is the foreskin's function & purpose,
plus I'd try to squeeze in very concisely that there is no medical need to circumcise
cultural-- that it is only done in the US or for religiious reasons. Intactness is the norm pretty much everywhere
ethics-- how can one justify the amputation of a normal natural body part on another human being reinforces that there is no medical reason. This also allows you to bring up the aspect of pain and complications

There are so many things you can do and so many ways to do it!

Good luck!!!!

Jessica

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
HEYYY!!
a couple semesters ago i did a speech against circumcision also!

there are tons of sources out there.

my focus (the main point) was that Routine Infant Circumcision is a Human Rights Violation! supporting arguments were that (1) circumcision is outlawed for little girls AND PETS (!!)... (2) the UN has this document against circumcision and the US has refused to sign it... and (3) over 80% of the world's male population are intact, and the US is one of the only freakish places in the world where being cut is considered "normal."

but there are so many directions to go with this. you could focus on just the medical / physiological and the positive functions of the foreskin. one point you should include is that, despite recent "studies", evidence still proves that circumcision does NOT reduce the risk of infections ~ that condoms are the most appropriate way to protect oneself against STD's.....

as an attention device i recommend a circumcision video.
that should grab the audience.

and good luck! i hated giving speeches but i loved the opportunity to inform and speak on something i'm passionate about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts