Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Shih Tzu went into heat for the first time last month. Once we realized she was in heat, she didn't leave the house and no "doggy visitors" were allowed over, but when she went into heat, we were out of town and she was staying at my sister's house. During that time, my brother brought his male dog over.

I've had quite a few reasons to believe she may be pregnant:
  • Once she was out of heat, she didn't want to eat. She was very picky and had no interest in food, and threw up a few times.
  • Her vulva returned to normal size, but has recently swelled again. She's had small amounts of bloody discharge.
  • Her nipples are quite large, have darkened, and appear to be preparing to make milk (circles of milk behind the nipple)
  • She sleeps much more recently than normal, and when she sleeps, she goes into a very,very deep sleep.
  • She seems to be more "careful" when playing and in everyday life (i.e. wanting to be lifted onto and down from couches and beds, not wanting to play rough or fetch)
  • She seems much heavier the last few weeks. Her rib cage seems broader, and her stomach is also pretty big (and hard)
We took her to the vet today, and he felt her stomach, but she kept tensing up so he couldn't feel anything. The look on his face, and the hesitation in his voice, made me believe he was feeling something, but not wanting to say anything because he couldn't be sure. He did an u/s, but couldn't see anything because she had gas (
).

He said he thought she wasn't pregnant, but couldn't be sure, so he wants me to go back in two weeks and he'll do an X-ray. I'd rather not let her be exposed to an X-ray, so I'll just see how she's looking in a couple of weeks.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
oh no.......sounds like she's pregnant.....what kind of dog bred her?

if this is her first heat she must be about 8-10 months old? That's pretty young and sometimes (but not always) dangerous for such a young dog to have babies. Did your vet talk to you about this? Did he suggest terminating the pregnancy??

i can't possibly begin to tell you what to do....find someone in real life and get them to teach you all about how to help your puppy deliver her babies. Last litter my dog had i gave mouth to mouth to a pup that just wasn't responsive....he made it too!!

goodluck to you!!

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My brother's dog is an AKC registered miniature American Eskimo (in fact, we can't even let the AKC know or the dog may get "kicked out"
, so at least the dog is similar in size to her.

She is 9 months old. The vet said that it wouldn't be ideal, but didn't seem especially concerned.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Many bitches go through a false pregnancy with every heat, it's far from unusual--I've honestly only ever had ONE bitch who didn't.
There are easy ways to rule things down though.
What day of her heat was she on when your brother's dog came over?
Did anyone witness them breed and tie?
Is your brother's dog an experienced stud?
How many days has it been since she had contact with the male?

Honestly, breeding a virgin bitch is FAR from easy about 90% of the time--an immature one even more so. I find it hard to believe that unless doors were closed and music was loud and nobody was paying attention that an inexperienced dog would have been able to breed a virgin bitch that quickly. My male, yeah, willing bitch or no, he'll pin 'em down and get the job done--but most inexperienced dogs spend a hour humping a bitch's head first.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ananas View Post
My brother's dog is an AKC registered miniature American Eskimo (in fact, we can't even let the AKC know or the dog may get "kicked out"
, so at least the dog is similar in size to her.

She is 9 months old. The vet said that it wouldn't be ideal, but didn't seem especially concerned.
The AKC can't kick a dog out because it bred another breed of dog. Also, there would be nothing to let them know, it's not like the get are registerable anyway so I'm not sure what you'd be hiding from them, kwim?

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
It's totally normal to do an x-ray. I've done it several times and would do it in a flat second to diagnose pregnancy and in this case it will be VERY important to know how many there are and how big they are. I would definitely do it. The reason the vet suggested it is because in a dog the ONLY difference between real pregnancy and false pregnancy is the presence of puppies. A bitch going through a false pregnancy can get milk and can even gain weight (because SHE thinks she's pregnant, so she slows down and eats more).

Your brother's dog is definitely UNneutered? And what breed?

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
Sorry, saw the breed notation (of COURSE Shannon got to this while I was typing). The size shouldn't be a huge factor if she is indeed pregnant. But I wouldn't worry too much, like Shannon said. If dogs could get pregnant through their ears, there would be many more puppies in the world.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I started the post and then the baby woke up. So yeah, it sat for a while. I should have refreshed it before I kept going!

I WISH dogs could get kicked out of the AKC. Unfortunately, the only way your brother's dog would ever get kicked out is if it were discovered that he (the dog) had a falsified pedigree. But even that almost never happens, because revoking a dog's AKC number would cause a ripple effect (his siblings, his parents, their other puppies, other relatives) that could get hundreds of dogs kicked off. Maybe your brother is referring to a breed club? It IS true that if your breed club finds out that you've been breeding unregistered dogs they will kick you out, but your dogs keep their registration.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shannon0218 View Post
<snip>My male, yeah, willing bitch or no, he'll pin 'em down and get the job done--but most inexperienced dogs spend a hour humping a bitch's head first.
I have nothing to add to this thread, everyone pretty much said it all. But I have to just say that this sentence struck me as hilarious. Is it horrible of me to add that the last part of your statement is exactly how I used to think of boys in high school?
: Of course, that attitude might be the reason why I was always dateless.

Anyway, that's a really great sentence. If you happen to see it published in a book somewhere .... I, uh, didn't steal it. Nope. Not me. Must have been someone else.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Havoc is my second stud (as a personal dog) and we've had 4 others over the years (mostly Sheena's personal dogs)
ONE of them, Hudson was a natural breeder, the others ALL needed help....serious friggin help.
My Timber, he was useless and actually never did breed naturally--if the bitch so much as moved, he hopped off, if I touched him or her, he jumped off. He and the sterile cup became best of friends and I became all too good at "collecting" from a dog.
Havoc, he was all about the head and he always launched himself from 20' away landing with all his weight on top of the bitch....who always collapsed. Once he figured it out, he could actually AIM from 20' away adn land in the perfect spot!
I just remember thinking....yeah sure, the neighbors dog got your dog without anyone noticing and you didn't even know she was in heat!!

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Twice in my 5 years breeding experience I have had girls get pregnant with me thinking..."there's no way they tied and no way she's pregnant."

And poof all of a sudden there she is fat and peeing when she sneezes(just like me when I'm pregnant!!
)

This last girl...she's my standard poodle...I tried to breed to a cockerspaniel and she would have nothing to do with him...so I thought "ok, whatever...maybe next time". And 45 days later she had 9 puppies...not from the cocker though but from my mini poodle stud who I swear never went near her!!! Obviously not.

But you'd think I would have noticed a tie!!! I'm sure they never tied because when she was bred 3 heats ago she screamed and cried and acted like it was the end!
This time she ended up pregos and i didn't even know it!

SURPRIZE!!!!!

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
OMG Shar-pei girls cry and carry on like it's the end of the world! one time our stud got out of his crate at night and got a girl that was in heat (we weren't planning on breeding them btw) and wham...

woke up at 3AM with a bitch screaming..not fun at all

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Bulldogs grunt and snore. Oh wait, they do that anyway.
:

I would suggest this is a false pregnancy, but only because the vet could not feel anything.

*I have no personal experience yet with breeding my own, but have been mentored..ie taught to collect and what not.
:

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
No, bitches in a false pregnancy can get tons of milk. I've known girls who literally dripped milk after a false pregnancy. The only way to confirm is ultrasound or x-ray, or of course in the last week or so if it's a big litter you can see the puppies moving.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Yep, all our bitches get fully engorged with false pregnancies. It's totally normal.
The reason I asked how long ago this was is that will say whether the vet should have been able to feel pups or not. Keep in mind, dogs are only pregnant for an average of 63 days, one or two days can make a world of difference. Just because the vet couldn't palpate puppies means DIDDLY!!! The average vet (as in not a vet that specializes in breeders) has palpated FAR few possible pregnancies than the average breeder. Heck, an internist I worked with once told me by ultrasound that we had likely 7 pups on the way...bitch was never preggers.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts