Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who knew grapes were in season in november? I've got 2 1/2 bags from my CSA...

Are there any recipes that will use them up? I can only handle so many just for snacking, and I seem to be the only one eating them.

pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
We put them in chicken salad. Other than that, they don't seem to have a problem disappearing around here. You could juice them in a pinch.

You can freeze them but they lose their crisp, if they are a more crisp grape like a Flame.

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, so frozen looks to be the way to go.

But seriously, NO recipes involving cooked grapes? I saw a thread about a grape pie a while back..
(I also have this issue with cooked oranges, why aren't there any recipes with cooked oranges?)

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
They are like little popsicles when they are frozen but lose some crunch after they defrost.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by whoMe
Okay, so frozen looks to be the way to go.

But seriously, NO recipes involving cooked grapes? I saw a thread about a grape pie a while back..
(I also have this issue with cooked oranges, why aren't there any recipes with cooked oranges?)
Well...there's duck l'orange and orange chicken. Though not so good for the veggies among us. I also used to have a yummy recipe for carrot orange soup.

Cooked grapes are tougher, though...

·
Registered
720 Posts
There is a grape cooler beverage recipe in Nourishing Traditions, but it calls for about 16lbs. It says to put grapes through a juicer, then put liquid in a large bowl, add salt(1tbs) and whey(1/2c), and stir well. Leave a room temp. for 3 days. After time is up, strain juice through a strainer and store in fridge. It says it is best served diluted, half water, half grape juice.

Anyway, hope you figure something out! Good luck momma!

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamaofthreeboys
Curious what you ended up doing with the abundance of grapes

: nothing yet
:
the 1/2 bag went in the trash cause they were getting old
:
For the rest, I'm intrigued by the pie, so I might try that, and then freeze the leftovers.

Ooh, how come there isn't fruit broth, like chicken or veggie broth? What could it be good for?
yeah, i'm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.