Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my heart set on a homebirth for a LONG time, but hb midwives aren't yet legal in my state. Not that there aren't any, but the ones that I'm aware of are generally concentrated in the metro Atlanta area. So my "backup" plan has been the only freestanding birth center in the state, which happens to be 10 minutes from my office. Woo!!!

Five minutes after I made my first prenatal appointment with them, they called be back to tell me that they won't accept any HMO insurance.
: Even though their director (an ob) is *covered* by my plan, they said absolutely not.

I'm really ticked off ... although, as I type this, I'm not sure why. I want a homebirth ... why do I care if some place that I don't want to give birth won't take my insurance? Okay, I've been saying that I don't really feel pregnant yet, but my emotions are sure telling a different story!

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
THis is fresh water for me....never had a homebirth and am done having kids so hope you dont mind me replying to you.

Can't you do an unassisted childbirth at home? You could just accidently not make it to the hospital and have baby at home!
:

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, I'd LOVE to go unassisted, but I doubt very seriously my dh would go for it. The only way he agreed to a homebirth was if we were within a reasonable distance from a hospital. Seeing as I have no leads on a homebirth midwife in my area yet, an oops uc might be the only palatable option.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
My DH was the same way about a UC at first too. Give your DH some time, give him some info, some stuff to read, talk to him, see if he comes around.

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
I think UC is a really beatiful optoin.

Also, how much does a birth cost at the birth center you like? Can you ask if they can put you on a payment plan? If they don't like your insurance chances are it's just a pain to work with your insuance company. If you pay out of pocket then you can bill your insurance company. If they cover the place, it should be just fine!

Claire - had 3 homebirths paid for without my insurance covering "homebirths".

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I live in AL; midwives are illegal here, too. So, we are planning a UC. Do you live close to the south-AL state line? I am aware of at least one midwife that practices out of Montgomery, that may be an option if you are close. PM me if you want more details.

Good luck with your decision, whatever you choose. My DH was pretty on board with UC from the start, but since I have announced my pregnancy to my parents, I have even helped my mother to see that it is a wonderful (and safe) option. Most people will come around, when pointed to the right resources and given time and factual information.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
There was another thread here not long ago about hb midwives in georgia, with lots of suggestions.

Here it is. Don't be fooled by the thread title, read down there are suggestions!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ABand3
There was another thread here not long ago about hb midwives in georgia, with lots of suggestions.
Thanks! I remembered the thread and have been in contact with a couple of the posters there. I went back and reread the thread, though, and found some other leads I forgot about ...

Maybe we can make this happen after all!

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Elizabeth, I emailed the HB mw I used w/my last baby, and she emailed me a name of someone she would recommend for you to contact. PM me please

·
Registered
7,110 Posts
I know you will be able to find a mw. Just because they are illegal does NOT mean they do not exsist. You just have to ask the right people....
I hope you find someone near you...
Good luck. Homebirth was so wonderful for us..

·
Registered
25,048 Posts
Quote:
You just have to ask the right people....
Today, I think I just might be the right people

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by georgia
Today, I think I just might be the right people

I sure hope so!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts