Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my last three pregnancies were unassisted, and very little cost outside of my ultrasound(s) during them. I have always been concerned about the cost of a homebirth midwife, since we wanted one with my first but insurance wouldn't touch it (ridiculous) so hospital birth was the most feasible for us. I had been eyeing this particular midwife for the last couple of years, and I met with her last week and I think she's the right fit for my and my family! The best part is, now we don't have "regular" insurance, we're on a healthcare sharing plan (Samaritan), who is a huge advocate of homebirth based on their "coverage", so it works out WONDERFULLY!! We pay the first $300 of all costs (so basically a "deductible") minus any discounts we are able to procure, and then the rest is entirely covered via "shares" through the other members. BUT...with homebirth they waive the first $300 since they know it is proven to cost less, overall, than a hospital birth! (I'll have that cost anyway since we opted for an ultrasound outside of that, but not a big deal in the long run) In otherwords, it has the potential to cost us NOTHING out of pocket! It is SUCH a better financial option for us, and is taking a HUGE chunk of stress out of my life. I don't have to worry about any extra costs if we transfer, or if they'll bill for anything that is "out of network" or "not covered", or that I'll have to pay a percentage. I cannot tell you what a blessing it is. Especially since regular insurance options now for our family size and income level are just plain crappy at best! We pay $405/month for our family, no matter the size, and there was nothing cheaper than that available to us elsewhere (and we wouldn't get as great of "coverage"), especially with that low of an OOP "deductible".

I'm so so happy and so excited about how it has worked out, I had to share. It's been such a huge blessing and eased a big burden!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
That is so fantastic! I am in BC Canada and midwives are covered here. It is nice to have one less thing to worry about :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
That's awesome news! It's fabulous that you not only aren't going to get hassled about a homebirth but they are going to cover it so willingly. I admit to being a little jealous that you have such accommodating coverage! LOL!

DH and I have been going around and around with budget and where to birth. I *really* hate our insurance (and our previous insurance for that matter), and I feel like it's going to cost us a lot no matter what we choose to do.

Our insurance claims it will cover 100% of a hospital birth but after some digging, that's not accurate. The 100% coverage is very limited and doesn't include a lot of fairly basic stuff (even things like IV fluids). They also have disclaimers that they only pay minimum rates for things like rooms, and we'd be responsible for any charges over what they think they should pay. The room rate is a dicey one because they say their coverage is based on double-occupancy, but our hospital doesn't even have double rooms any more, so I have not idea what sort of bare-bones coverage the insurance is going to cover. There's also a little scam going on via the hospital itself - they sub-contract out for all pediatric docs... and the sub-contractors do not accept insurance of any kind so they are always out-of-network for everyone, even at an in-network hospital. We've been caught out by this before (when my DD had to go to the ER and subsequently be admitted for illness a couple of years ago). We've never had a hospital birth so I have no idea how the billing all works out, but the 100% hospital-birth coverage is looking like total BS from the insurance.

On the flip side, the insurance says that they are required to cover homebirths at 70% in our state, but we have to get it all pre-approved or they can deny everything. This to me smacks of them going to try everything they can to deny us. The homebirth practice has a separate billing agency that takes an 8% commission, plus $100 processing fee, so if the insurance denies us outright, we might be out-of-pocket anyway. DH and I are trying to decide if we can afford to just pay for the homebirth out-of-pocket ($5000 includes everything except any ultrasounds and labwork) and ignore the insurance altogether. Ugh.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts