Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So they tell me, at least.

What can I wash them in?
Can I use Dreft? that's what I use on the rest of the baby laundry....

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Well, I've found that a washing machine works better than banging them with rocks in the creek. :LOL

No, seriously, I think you have a lot of options for detergents. I use Bi-O-Kleen concentrate & love it, but I'm pretty sure other mamas use more mainstream detergents like the "free and clear" kind (All? Tide? not sure what the brand is).

Have fun with your new dipes!

·
Registered
892 Posts
I use 1/16 cup of Melaleuca laundry detergent (cuz its what we have), or 1/4-1/2 cap of regular laundry detergent (no whiteners, no added fabric softeners). The last couple washes, I've been using 1/2 cup of baking soda in the "prewash" or prerinse, and adding 1/2-1 cup of distilled white vinegar in the last rinse. Thats mainly because we were having stink issues -- and it seems to have cleared it up. I also recently cleaned the washing machine itself, so I think that helped, too.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by meritodd1221
I use 1/16 cup of Melaleuca laundry detergent (cuz its what we have), or 1/4-1/2 cap of regular laundry detergent (no whiteners, no added fabric softeners). The last couple washes, I've been using 1/2 cup of baking soda in the "prewash" or prerinse, and adding 1/2-1 cup of distilled white vinegar in the last rinse. Thats mainly because we were having stink issues -- and it seems to have cleared it up. I also recently cleaned the washing machine itself, so I think that helped, too.
i was thinking about using vinegar too but then i read if you live where there is hard water it's bad.do you know anything about this?

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:LOL rocks in creek........I think my washer would work better than seeing if my grandma has that old wringer thing around from 'Little House' days too.

Seriously though, Dreft?

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know where to get Bio-Kleen or Melaleuca.....how about a more 'mainstream' approach? Like something I can get my mom to pick up w/10% employee discount at the local Target.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
We use Era, because it's what I like for the rest of the laundry... but we've used Cheer and Purex too. I think any regular detergent that Target carries will be fine. IMO the most important thing with diaper laundry is not the kind of detergent, but the amount. Use only 1/4 cap at the most with a hot wash and you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I have been using Cheer Free for the last few months and have been very pleased with it. I have had stink issues with some detergents like Tide or other heavily scented detergents. Dreft can leave a coating on the diapers that effects absorbency. I think Free and Clear detergents are more a problems with fleece than with cotton. The main thing is just to not use too much detergent and to make sure it is all rinsed out.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
I use sensi-clean that I get from www.diaperware.com It's the same as sportswash you get a wal-mart..but I don't have to go to wal-mart and I'd rather support a WAHM. I've been doing 1/2 c. Baking Soda and 1/2 c. vinegar in a cold prewash and then 1/2 oz. sensi-clean in a hot wash w/ no stink problems, rashy problems. They've been coming out of the dryer super fresh and sooo soft! It's been great. One thing to remember is to not use BS w/o using vinegar, IMO. It helps restore the ph level in the dipes so they don't irritate your babes skin. I had been using just BS and was having a terrible time w/ rashes!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.