Mothering Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
or is "associated with" autism

In the same yahoo feed, I see that doctors blame moms with PCOS for their child's autism. http://www.popsugar.com/moms/Study-Links-PCOS-Condition-Childhood-Autism-39332972

And Dr. Harvey Karp MD, a doctor I had the good fortune to meet and know 30 years ago, thinks that chemicals in plastics cause autism. He wrote me a prescription for ipecac, a medication, an emetic, that does not require a prescription. I all ready had it in my medicine cabinet, but he felt compelled to write the prescription anyway and give it to me. I tossed the ipecac out about five years ago, as I never had a need to use it. Better living through chemistry. http://www.popsugar.com/moms/What-Causes-Autism-38215233

Both of these "causes" blame the parent in some way. A mother has PCOS or chooses to use plastics and this causes her child's condition.

Do all tupperware representatives have more autistic children?

PCOS -
Doctors don't know what causes polycystic ovary syndrome, but these factors may play a role:

• Excess insulin. Insulin is the hormone produced in the pancreas that allows cells to use sugar (glucose) — your body's primary energy supply. If you have insulin resistance, your ability to use insulin effectively is impaired, and your pancreas has to secrete more insulin to make glucose available to cells. Excess insulin might also affect the ovaries by increasing androgen production, which may interfere with the ovaries' ability to ovulate.
  • Low-grade inflammation. Your body's white blood cells produce substances to fight infection in a response called inflammation. Research has shown that women with PCOS have low-grade inflammation and that this type of low-grade inflammation stimulates polycystic ovaries to produce androgens.
  • Heredity. If your mother or sister has PCOS, you might have a greater chance of having it, too. Researchers also are looking into the possibility that certain genes are linked to PCOS. Of course, mothers, sisters and daughters tend to go to the same kind of doctors, get the same kind of treatment and take the same kind of prescriptions, so of course they tend to have the same kind of outcomes. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/pcos/basics/causes/con-20028841
Would use of the BCP cause PCOS? The BCP does interfere with normal ovulation; if the dosage is too low, the ovary will continue to produce an egg, but the follicle will not rupture, so there would be cysts forming all over the poor ovary. If one knew how the BCP was developed and approved, fewer women would use it.

Reactions: caned & able

·
Registered
24,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If the doctor prescribes antidepressants during pregnancy, that can cause autism. And it is the mother's fault if she takes the pills.

A study published Monday in JAMA Pediatrics lends insight into one factor that may influence rising rates of autism spectrum disorder, including Asperger syndrome. Only a few other studies have examined links to antidepressants and pregnancy—the latest from the University of Montreal is the largest of its kind.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ts-taken-during-pregnancy?cmpid=yhoo.headline

·
Registered
24,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I should have named this thread, "Name the Cause".

Seems to me that autism researchers are grasping at straws.

Reactions: Deborah

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I took BCP for 10 years & wish now I hadn't. Would you please post a link to what you're saying about how they were developed, etc? Thanks.

Sus

·
Registered
24,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The book, Confessions of A Medical Heretic, and Malepractice - How Doctors MANipulate women by Dr Mendelsohn has the information that I posted.

Apparently on the flimsiest of studies, one in which 15 women died in a study, 10%, of symptoms suggesting stroke, and no one bothered to find out WHY these healthy women of childbearing age died suddenly.

Based on this science, the BCP was prescribed worldwide for millions of women. A stroke is still listed as a side effect.

I suggest that you also read the package insert for the BCP. Liver damage, heart attack, and gall bladder disease still are listed as side effects. As for PCOS, that could have been predicted with the use of the lower hormone dosage BCP.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I'm not currently taking them (took them from late teens on) so I'm not going to hunt down the insert. I know that they have contributed to my current state of health (as did the c-section by which I was born, artificial feeding I received from first one, abx for ear infections). I recall stroke being a risk. It's crazy the risks we take on when we don't know to think.

Thanks,
Sus

·
Registered
8,487 Posts
I respectfully disagree with the idea that Karp is blaming mothers. From the tone of the link, I'm getting more that he's blaming industry. I actually liked the article and found it interesting. :bag

I also don't think anyone is blaming women for their PCOS. It's a hormonal imbalance and not a choice like smoking.

I do agree that women get overly blamed and manipulated in medical practices, just maybe not in these areas.

·
Registered
9,078 Posts
I took BCP for 10 years & wish now I hadn't. Would you please post a link to what you're saying about how they were developed, etc? Thanks.

Sus
If you can get hold of a copy (long out of print), I highly recommend reading Sexual Chemistry, Understanding Our Hormones, The Pill and HRT by Dr Ellen Grant who participated in the first major British study on the contraceptive pill in 1961 and author of several papers on its effects.

From the back cover of the book:

Prescribed hormones can disrupt the balance of our bodies' vital nutrients, rob us of our protective immunity and threaten our genetic integrity. Imbalances in parents can lead to a lack of essential minerals in their children, causing a whole range of problems, including upset sexual development (me - hmmm, could this a be part of the reason we are seeing early puberty in girls etc), dyslexia, hyperactivity, allergies, anorexia and bulimia.

·
Registered
24,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
You are correct, Turquesa. Sorry. Just got carried away. So much is blamed on parents, especially moms. It is rather automatic with me based on my long life experience. Doctors do not "recommend" plastics. I know of many healthminded families that have deliberately chosen to buy wooden toys.

My own personal opinion regarding PCOS and the BCP is that this may be one of many second generation effects of the BCP. I strongly suspect the obesity epidemic is also a result of women taking the BCP for over 55 years now. That could be second or third generation results of taking the BCP.

That is only my opinion. My mom made the same observation in the 1970s when children born in the mid-60s possibly to women who took the BCP for a time before conceiving them seemed to be heavier than their parents. If you do not believe me, watch some old television shows with adults and children in the 1950s. Very few were overweight or obese. Of course, obese or overweight people were probably not chosen to be in a cast or commercial.

Just an observation.

And regarding early puberty, I taught 3rd grade for a while, and it amazed me how many girls NEEDED a bra. This is ages 7-8-9.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
If you can get hold of a copy (long out of print), I highly recommend reading Sexual Chemistry, Understanding Our Hormones, The Pill and HRT by Dr Ellen Grant who participated in the first major British study on the contraceptive pill in 1961 and author of several papers on its effects.

From the back cover of the book:
I honestly try not to think about all the harm that has been caused me & subsequently my children, because of these kinds of things. I can't change any of it now & it makes me want to cry & crawl in a hole never to return. Soon, 4/5 of us will be seeing a functional med dr (3 of us are now) to try to fix what needs attention. I hope we all go at some point. It's all I can do. Plus avoid so much of the stuff that got us here in the first place (as much as possible - abx would be only for something incredibly serious, etc).

Thanks for the suggestion.

Sus

Reactions: applejuice

·
Registered
24,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is an article on my newsfeed this morning about viruses causing autism, right below the article about antidepressants.

Plastics, viruses, antidpressants, hormone imbalances, anything but vaccines!

·
Registered
408 Posts

·
Registered
24,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is the long list of things that science says may "cause autism" in 2015.

http://www.sheknows.com/parenting/articles/1106023/what-causes-autism

1. Vitamin D deficiency - isn't that called rickets?
2. pre-eclapsia
3. BPA
4. dna from dad
5. dna from mom
6. old moms
7. young moms
8. gestational diabetes
9. mom's hormones
10. mom's immune system
11.prematurity
12. smoking
13.PCOCS
14.antidepressants

2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14 all blame the mom and one blames the dad. Eleven of 14 blame the parents. Autism comes from the parents. It is all their fault.

Reactions: samaxtics

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
You are correct, Turquesa. Sorry. Just got carried away. So much is blamed on parents, especially moms. It is rather automatic with me based on my long life experience. Doctors do not "recommend" plastics. I know of many healthminded families that have deliberately chosen to buy wooden toys.

My own personal opinion regarding PCOS and the BCP is that this may be one of many second generation effects of the BCP. I strongly suspect the obesity epidemic is also a result of women taking the BCP for over 55 years now. That could be second or third generation results of taking the BCP.

That is only my opinion. My mom made the same observation in the 1970s when children born in the mid-60s possibly to women who took the BCP for a time before conceiving them seemed to be heavier than their parents. If you do not believe me, watch some old television shows with adults and children in the 1950s. Very few were overweight or obese. Of course, obese or overweight people were probably not chosen to be in a cast or commercial.

Just an observation.

And regarding early puberty, I taught 3rd grade for a while, and it amazed me how many girls NEEDED a bra. This is ages 7-8-9.
I have PCOS, was born in the mid-60s, and I don't think my mom was ever on the pill (I know when she was still using birth control she used spermicides because I remember finding them when I was little and not knowing what they were). I was chubby, but only after I started having breast buds at 10. I didn't get a period until, which is apparently unusual.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Here is the long list of things that science says may "cause autism" in 2015.

http://www.sheknows.com/parenting/articles/1106023/what-causes-autism

1. Vitamin D deficiency - isn't that called rickets?
2. pre-eclapsia
3. BPA
4. dna from dad
5. dna from mom
6. old moms
7. young moms
8. gestational diabetes
9. mom's hormones
10. mom's immune system
11.prematurity
12. smoking
13.PCOCS
14.antidepressants

2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14 all blame the mom and one blames the dad. Eleven of 14 blame the parents. Autism comes from the parents. It is all their fault.
I won't click the link. Whoever is behind that site are pro circ crazies.

Sus

Reactions: Pookietooth
1 - 15 of 15 Posts