Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I read the Harry Potter thread with interest, as I am looking for age appropriate chapter books to read aloud to my 7 year old daughter.  I feel she is too young for Harry Potter.  She did seem to enjoy Stuart Little and Little House on the Prairie.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Any other suggestions??  I was thinking of:</p>
<p> </p>
<p>A Secret Garden</p>
<p>Wind in the Willows</p>
<p>Holly Hobbie</p>
<p>Paddington Bear</p>
<p>Charlotte's Web</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>These are all older titles that I seem to remember enjoying... but it has been a looooong time!  I would love some suggestions for parents who have actually read them aloud to their children already!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Beth</p>

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
<p>The Little House on the Prairie series is great.  My 5-year-old son and I are almost done with the 3rd book in the series, and he has really enjoyed them.</p>

·
Registered
487 Posts
<p>My kids have enjoyed the secret garden. Also the original Grimms fairy tales.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Also the Peter Pan series is popular here right now. We are currently reading Peter Pan in scarlet.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
<p>We like older books---Milly Molly Mandy, A Happy Little Family, Up and Down the River, Jenny & the Cat Club, The Wind Boy, Noisy Village, Betsy & Tacy, Betsy, Tacy & Tib.  The Laura Ingalls books up to a certain age, and of course Farmer Boy---we could read just that book for a whole season.  Actually all these books---we read them, finish them, then start again.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>And there are the books like ---The Book of Fairy Princes, The 7 year Old Wonder Book, Puck.  Those are also much beloved ones.</p>

·
Registered
364 Posts
<p>Last year for Christmas, my parents gave DD the book <a href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=9325&tag=motheringhud-20&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FTumtum-Nutmeg-Adventures-Beyond-Nutmouse%2Fdp%2F0316027030%2Fref%3Dsr_1_2%3Fs%3Dbooks%26ie%3DUTF8%26qid%3D1290108851%26sr%3D1-2" rel="norewrite" target="_blank"><span style="text-decoration:underline;">Tumtum & Nutmeg</span></a>. It's actually 3 books in 1, but DD absolutely loves it! Over the past year, we've read all three stories within it, and she has asked to re-read the first ones recently.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>She also loved Secret Garden and Charlotte's Web, so those might be good choices for you as well.</p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts