Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are no words.

Quote:
Carrie Heaton does her best to keep watch over her curious and cognitively disabled 13-year-old son without being too confining.
Still, the Nephi teen slips out unnoticed on occasion and wanders the neighborhood, sometimes entering and rifling through people's homes, according to police. Neighbors to the south have complained.
But Heaton was surprised Wednesday when long-simmering tensions boiled over and her neighbors erected a sign in their front yard warning, "CAUTION, RETARD'S IN AREA."
http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_4082374

Yes, I know they took the sign down. Yes, I'm aware the mother is partly responsible for her child's behavior. But this is just downright disgusting. It's stories like this that make me want to cry and vomit when I think about the possible animosity my son may face.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter:

Quote:
"People with disabilities have traditionally been the least among us. We have a tolerance for that kind of language that we don't have for other derogatory terms," said Nelson. "If the sign said, 'Caution, blacks living here,' or 'Caution, Jews living here,' people would respond to it in a very direct way."
My God. My son may be a wanderer one day. I don't know. We have alarms on our doors and keep the doors locked at all times, but from what I understand having talked to other parents of autistic children, they can disarm alarms and disable locks if they are determined enough.

I just....ugh. Stories like this just give me a sick feeling in my stomach all day.

·
Registered
6,192 Posts
OMG, what an @$$. I can't believe he had the gull to do that.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by boingo82
The irony is in the grammatical error on the sign.

Yeah I know. That is awesome.

What a dick.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I, too, noted the deep irony of the grammatical error on the sign. How awful and MEAN!

I wonder if there is a community mediation center in their area - I would love to see these neighbors engage in mediation. It must be frustrating and scary to have a young teen breaking and entering into their homes, but this response is just disgusting.
:

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
I think the way the neighbors handled the situation was horrible, offensive and tasteless. Absolutely amazing that grown adults would stoop to that level. However, someone who is developmentally disabled obviously needs supervision that he isn't getting is a real concern, especially if he is rifling through people's homes. What if someone mistook him for a burglar, or he barged in on someone who happened to have a gun? Or worse, he himself finds a gun, or some other sort of weapon? There are all kind of hazards looming for him if he continues to get out of the line of supervision. It sounds as if his mother needs to either place him elsewhere, or hire help. That may sound harsh, but not doing anything about it at all could produce very tragic and needless consequences.

·
Premium Member
10,793 Posts
Didn't we talk about this already?

·
Registered
788 Posts
That's terrible! Even if neighbors are upset, it is clearly not the child's fault.

Every time I think things have changed, I find out how little they really have.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by KatWrangler
Didn't we talk about this already?
I've been gone for a week, so probably so.
:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts