Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had just your basic padded ring sling since Maxi was a newborn and its always worked fine though I never used it to nurse and never used it that much til he was about 3 months old and could hold his head up.

There are so many options out there and I want something that is not going to cost an arm and a leg, something that is cute, comfy and functions well.

Right now I want something that works well as just a hip pouch and later I am going to want another sling that works for a newborn through infancy.

Any ideas where to start? I feel like every week or so I come here and ask a question and never feel like I gain any understanding because its so overwhelming.

I guess this is what learing about CDing felt like when I was preggo 2 years ago but I cant remember!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
You know, I didn't search out a sling until I was pregnant with Elizabeth-my third baby. Anyway, I thought I knew exactly what I wanted which was mainly a simple to use pouch and a wrap was the last thing I thought i'd want. I figured there was no way I wanted to try to master wrapping 6 yards of fabric around my body-that was craziness!!

Then my baby finally came. The fleece pouch that scared the heck out of me because I thought it would never fit right (too tight) ended up working really well--for a couple weeks. Then a friend of mine told me it looked like a great big Ace bandage-I ordered khaki because I wanted the "go with everything neutral". Plus I was constantly worried about her legs being scrunched in there the bigger she got. So, I ordered a hotsling because it was so much prettier and was still a simple pouch design. I do like it because it really has a cool look to it. But my baby hates the cradle hold, and at 3 months is not ready for the hip hold i'm dying to use it for. Last week, I decided to look for something where her legs weren't bunched up, and I could still keep her upright, but I didn't want to go with a backpack. I would love to have a Kozy, but the wait is so long I need something sooner. I ended up ordering a Moby wrap, and I LOVE it. The only downfall is that it is a little warm to wear for long. Therefore i'm going to buy a lighter weight wrap and use the Moby when i'm not outside in the sweltering heat.

I guess what i'm trying to say is be open minded, and try as many different style carriers as you can. I thought i'd hate the wrap the most, and it turns out it's what I love the most, and spent the least amount of money on!! Every person you ask will tell you that they love something different. The best place to start is figure out what you're looking for in a carrier and find one that has those qualities. Something that is cute, comfy and functions well will get you a different carrier depending on who you ask.

·
Registered
350 Posts

I used a maya wrap with Charlie when he was little
, but I just got a hotsling and love it. In fact I loved it so much I bought a second one the next day! It is a pouch and is super easy to use.

I mostly carry Charlie in a hip carry. He seems to like it too.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
I am loving my adjustable pouches. Perfect for newborn through toddler. I have a cotton Kangaroo Korner, and a stretchy hemp pouch as well. They are super easy and super comfortable. I havealways used a padded ring sling, which I like, but these are quite a bit easier. Another benefit of the adjustable pouch is that you can make it very small for a newborn or bigger for a toddler my just resnapping some snaps.
www.kangarookorner.com

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks ladies -- I really like the look of those hot slings. I wish I could try them all before having to decide! It is just so expensive to buy a bunch and not be happy with them you know!?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts