Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cousin is 18 years old and she is due to have her baby on august 22. Whenever she found out she was pregnant the baby's daddy wanted her to have an abortion and she told him to hit the road. She has worked thru her whole pregnancy and taken good care of herself. She has decided to BF and also have as natural a birth as possible. She wants me to be there and she looks up to me quite a bit from what her mom tells me, which makes me feel good. Anyway. The other day I had gone over there to take her some clothes that my ds has grown out of ( 3 months 15 lbs
). She was talking about a friend of hers that just had a baby and was not due until sept 24. The baby weighed 2 lbs 9 oz. Her friend decided for whatever reason not to BF. My cousin said she tried to talk her into it but she wouldn't. A few minutes later she looked at me and said " I know this may sound weird but...if I have enough extra milk could I give it to her baby" Guys I almost cried. I was so touched that she would think to do something like that. I mean she has been through so much in my opinion. I couldn't imagine Jaryn's daddy not being around when I was pregnant nor being that young. But thru all of this she has not asked for pitty or sympathy. She has done what she needed to do and made a wonderful choice to bf her baby and now she wants to help another baby by giving it her breastmilk. I just wanted to share that with you guys..I thought you would appreciate it. I am so proud of her right now I could just cry. I told her I would get the info she needed as far as pasturizing and such if the other mom wanted to. I told her I was pretty sure the only things that could be passed thru bm were HIV, AIDS and hep. but she has none of that. However if anyone has any info on it let me know. Also I wanted to add that I have talked to her about not circing and not vaxing and I think ( cross your fingers) that she is going to not do either one....
I will continue of course to give her all the info I can and what I know. Thanks for reading...

Proud Mommy to Jaryn 4-16-06 :2bfbabe:

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
That's so awesome!
: I don't have much info on HIV and BM except that it's controversial but Mothering did a special on it with, gosh, now I can't remember her name,
: . Well the cover had the mama PG with AZT written on her belly circled with a line drawn through it. I'm sure that has some great info with some good links in it. I'm so happy for your cousin!

·
Registered
4,620 Posts
Oh, and I'm sure the LLL site has good info!

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
That is wondeful!

Why don't you invite her over to mdc? There are a lot of moms here who had their children at an early age that she might look to for support.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.