Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i work in the infant room at a daycare. i feel so bad for this little baby we have- she's 5 months old and way over fed- she can eat 2 #3 jars of food at once, and she's refusing her formula right now.... but alot of our parents start solids too early, so im kinda used to that. anyway, a coworker of mine went to giver her her water bottle, and noticed that after drinking it, baby smelled kinda fruity..... we opened the bottle and smelled it, and mom had put fruit 2 O water(that artifically flavored artifically sweetened water) in her 5 month old baby's bottle
..... now im not perfect, i remember puuting kool aid in my 13 mo old or so nephews bottle, but i was 16, and didnt know any better- i did it cuz his mom did..... but even i knew at 16 not to give sugary stuff like that to a very young baby, much less artificial crap....

on that note, does anyone know what the reccommended age for starting solids is in germany? i ask because this mom brought in a jar of german baby food (she didnt know we provided baby food) that was the same size as a #3, which says from 8 months abd up, but this one said from 4 months.... so i figure they must be starting way early to have a baby eating a jar that size by 4 months

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
I don't know how you do it. Seeing that kind of negligence on a daily basis would destroy me mentally. Fruit 2-o?!?!?!? Doesn't that stuff have aspartame in it????? I don't know about cultural norms or expectations regarding starting solid foods in Germany, but I am willing to bet they are the same as they are in the USA- which at the current time is NOT before SIX months. Perhaps you can check the WHO website to see what they say about it.

·
Registered
13,477 Posts
The current recommendation in Germany is probably the same as UK, which is 6 months: but baby food manufacturers are refusing to change the packaging to reflect the changing guidelines.
On the large jars, though, we've been buying some large (150g or 200g) jars from an Italian delicatessen which are clearly purees and labelled from 4 months, but obviously contain multiple servings. Standard practice over here is to always, always decant the food from a jar into a bowl (so you can check for foreign bodies)- that way you can take out only what baby needs and there's some left for another day. You've got 48 hours from opening a jar before it needs to be binned, which is quite a while, really.
And yes, foreign bodies are an issue in European baby food, before anyone asks. Let's not go there, OK?

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
In Denmark, solids are introduced at 4 months earliest, 6 months latest. Big BF population here, so most in the 5th month or later range. Though even that should not be a fast rule. Some babes live on brest only longer, some are used to formula already and show an interest in foods at a younger age. Also, although many momas buy jar formula, much of it is organic, very, very little has sugar.... I mean, common ingredient list is: Apples, pears, water. That's it. many momas also make their own baby food from fresh produce.

Can't you nicely tell the mamma that her baby doesn't need sugar and chemicals. Show her the ingredients label on the juice, so she gets the point. I doubt she's the make-it-yourself-applesauce kind of person, but you could also nicely say that she could read the baby food jar labels before she bought them - you must have some pure or organic brands?

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by caeden&connersmom
My friend works at a home daycare, and has seen kids coming with coffee in thier bottles and sippy cups!!! UGH!!
:

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AllisonR

Can't you nicely tell the mamma that her baby doesn't need sugar and chemicals. Show her the ingredients label on the juice, so she gets the point. I doubt she's the make-it-yourself-applesauce kind of person, but you could also nicely say that she could read the baby food jar labels before she bought them - you must have some pure or organic brands?
well we have to tell her we cant give it at the center at least- all we're allowed to have in bottles is breastmilk, formula, whole milk, water or 100% juice- no cereal (which really ticks off some parents, theyve been known to try to sneak it in, but we can usually tell) no kool aid, no meds, no pedialyte or gatorade (people think its the same thing as pedialyte), or whatever else they might decide to put in it.... so at least she wont be getting it during the hours shes in the center anyway....

and the funny part is she didnt even mark the bottle as juice, she labelled it as a water bottle- i'd think that yucky stuff is closer to"juice" than to water..... i smelled it and it smelled chemilcally to me.... my co workers said, "oh thats that yummy strawberry stuff!" but i react to artificial sweeteners like aspartame and splenda- i get nauseated, get a headache, and sometimes even get dizzy if i accidently get some

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Germany recommends BFing until 6 months, but many start giving solids from 4-5 months

I used to think that there was a big BF culture here, but now with dd#2 I see so many FF babies I'm not so sure anymore.
The normal food that they recommend to start with is carrots or parsnips. Or rice/grit cereal.

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by caeden&connersmom
My friend works at a home daycare, and has seen kids coming with coffee in thier bottles and sippy cups!!! UGH!!
I've given my DD sips of my coffee before. And sometimes mix about 1oz of brew with some milk and give her coffee milk...

Guess I'm bad...she likes the taste...also less caffeene in 1oz coffee diluted with milk than in a can of soda

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've given ds a taste of the Aquafina Flavor-Splash and I had looked on the bottle before and there was no sugars...but since you brought it up..I just looked again and it DOES have Splenda in it...Is that in the same category as Aspertaime? OOPS!

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
ok i just have to comment ~~ just because a 5 month old eats that much doesn't mean she's necessarily "overfed." honestly.

when my son was that age he was consistently voracious (wait, he STILL is!!
)... he could drink two 8-oz bottles of formula, have a bowl of rice cereal and still want a jar or two of baby food. and guess what? he's a perfectly healthy little boy, around the 80th percentile for weight and right on the top of the 99th percentile for height.

i'm sorry, i had to say that. whenever i hear someone mentioning a baby being overfed (or fat / overweight) my "oh-no-that-baby-is-at-risk-for-body-image-issues" alarm goes off.

and as for the water, the parents probably thought it was way better than something like kool-aid or juice ~ especially if people have been saying their baby is overfed. they probably think that the little 5 month old doesn't need that many calories.

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
Acctually about the water: Parents probably grabbed a bottle of water out of the cooler at the convinience store, didn't bother looking at the label and paid and left.

Those Fruit flavoured waters look EXACTLY Like water flavoured water with the exception of a picture of some fruit on it. Not exactly easy to notice if you're in a hurry. I've grabbed raspberry flavoured water when I was hoping for water flavoured water....Cracked it open and GAH!!! NASTY!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts