Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Mamas,
I haven't been online in SOOOO long!!!! I have no idea what is going on in the world of cloth diapers or on Mothering so I hope I'm not writing anything that will upset anyone. I used to be obsessed with cloth diapers and used to spend hours on the diapering threads when my babies were babies.

Alas, my gorgeous baby girl isn't a baby anymore. She's turning 3 on Tuesday and has been out of diapers since before she was 2 (although I could sometimes put one on her at night but they were usually dry so I had to stop that too). I've been keeping her beautiful cloth diaper stash that I so lovingly put together. I am not having any more children (not able to due to cancer and other medical issues but I am blessed with 4 gorgeous children.) I dream of adopting someday but don't know if or when that can happen.

Long story short is do I sell them since we need money???? I have tons of El bees, Kiwi Pie, wool longies, etc. We REALLY need the money so that's why I think I may have to sell most of them. I have given tons of cloth diapers away to friends and still will give some away but I was thinking the El Bees, Kiwi Pies, etc I could make some money on since I really need money.

What do you all do when it gets to "this" point. I would save them/give them to friends if I wasn't in desperate need of money. It's SO heartwrenching because it's like it's an "end of an era". Cloth diapering wasn't just our way of life, it was my hobby! I LOVED finding the cute little diapers, etc... I'm really bummed....

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm nuts, I don't think having to sell some of her "stash" is the only thing bumming me out. My baby turning 3 is really hitting hard because she's my youngest and last. But also because I'm only 31 and am not doing too well health wise so it's all hitting hard. I'm hoping I'm not offending anyone by posting this, I am curious to know if anyone else has this hard of time letting go of the cloth diapers and how they did it. It's truly the end of an era... my baby days are over....

Thanks for any advice and for listening. Now that I have a bit of time I hope to get back online and can't wait to see what's going on around Mothering

Love to you all and Happy Diapering!!!!!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Well, I have not gotten to the stage of giving up the cloth. But I do have a gorgeous embroidered Mutt on the way to my house that I seriously don't know that I will want to part with when my daughter out grows it or potty trains, whichever happens first. Can you store diapers for 20 years for your kids to use on their kids? lol It does seem kind of crazy to talk about this for diapers, but I think I can understand where you're coming from.

My advice as far as selling, I think I would pick out a few to keep and sell the rest. Maybe that will help ease the pain.

Crystal

·
Registered
610 Posts
As someone who is constantly short on money, I'd say maybe rank your dipes in order of importance/sentimental value. Then, as you need some cash and have nowhere else to turn you can start from the top and just sell a few at a time. The beauty of things like the TP and diaperswappers is that, unlike Ebay, the mamas typically pay right away. I've been in a bind with no money for groceries and just put a diaper or two on and had the money in my Paypal account in less than an hour. It's one of the bonuses of CDing IMO.

·
Registered
214 Posts
My 2 cents: keep a few really special ones as mementoes. Sell the rest (but take pictures of the stash first!). Look at it this way: eventually the elastics, etc., will go; selling them will give you money you need, free up storage space, and let another kid and mama have fun with the pretty diapers while they are still usable. It's a win-win.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I don't think you are crazy at all. I totally understand how you feel about the cloth diapers and giving them up and I also understand how you feel about it being your last baby and her turning three. My son will be three next month and he is our last baby too. However, he is not even interested in potty training at this time so we are still using cloth diapers with him. I think the PP gave some great advice in keeping a few diapers for memories and selling the rest.

I just wanted you to know that you are not alone in how you feel.

Kristy
SAHM to Rebecca (13) and David (2)

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarski View Post
My 2 cents: keep a few really special ones as mementoes. Sell the rest (but take pictures of the stash first!). Look at it this way: eventually the elastics, etc., will go; selling them will give you money you need, free up storage space, and let another kid and mama have fun with the pretty diapers while they are still usable. It's a win-win.

Yes!

Sell them. I know it is really hard, but once they are gone (take pictures!) you will not really miss them.

I'm in a similar place as you and am selling off my stash as my baby gets bigger--this way I get to get more diapers she can wear now and also because we don't plan on having anymore children. It doesn't make sense for me to hold on to all of this stuff when there are little babies out there who can use them now.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all your replies. Thank you also for not telling me I'm crazy. LOL
Today is my sweet girls' 3rd birthday. Actually, I was in labor with her right now and had her right around now! I don't know the exact time she was born but it was right around now!!!
She was beautiful and SO big!!!! I even remember the first cloth diaper I put on her
I was so excited to put her in those adorable teeny tiny diapers (my ds was 2 at the time of Savannah's birth so he had big ol' cloth diapers so to see all those teeny tiny newborn diapers was so cool!)

Anywho, I must have read "I'll Love You Forever" about 10 times to Savannah last night and she just woke up so I'm going to go and cuddle my sweet birthday girl

Thank you all again for your awsome ideas and support
Love you all!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.