Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
10,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it when a baby gets teeth it's time to wean according to most undereducated people(undereducated in breastfeeding that is). Now that DD has two bottom teeth I am hearing the well time to wean theory from just about anyone(family-complete strangers). My mother says I could just pump if her having breastmilk is THAT importent to me but I am a fool to let her with those teeth. yes she has bit me on occasion bit me on occasion but why is teeth such a big signal to wean to these people?

· Registered
390 Posts
ds#1 got his first teeth at 7 months; ds#2's front two bottom teeth popped through a couple of days before he turned 3 months! Guess it just nature's way of telling me he's ready to wean and start eating steak
:

· Registered
547 Posts
That bugs me, too. I learned to keep him from biting me long before he had teeth. Even soft baby gums hurt when they're clamped down on your nipple.

I actually prefer the teeth. I have a disease that keeps me from having much sense of touch in my extremities, including my nipples. When he was toothless, I never knew he was going to bite until he was doing it. Now with the teeth, it starts to feel itchy when he gets his mouth in the wrong position, and I move him. He's had teeth for over 2 months and I still haven't gotten a hard bite with teeth.

· Registered
1,745 Posts
OK, I just thought of a [email protected]$$ reply.

"I totally know what you mean! She peed on me once during a diaper change, so I stopped changing her. She's been wearing the exact same diaper nonstop for the past 4 months."

· Registered
1,264 Posts
ok, I know I am going to get flamed, but I wanted you to see another side of this. My 7 month old has two teeth, she began biting not to long ago. She would also clamp down on my nipple and yank her head all over the place. I know this is common, and I tried everything I read on these boards, but it got to the point that I was afraid to feed her and I was shaking with fear during a feeding. She was biting me so hard I was having bad urges to smack her out of self defense.

So for her well being and mine she is on bottles during the day and breastfeeds at night when she is too groggy to bite or look around. Please understand biting may very well make some people give up. Even people that really wanted to nurse for at least two years and read and still reads these boards everyday.

· Registered
1,463 Posts
Corrie,

My first son was like that too, and it led me to wean at 10.5 months. For three and a half months he would bite and turn his head, leaving 1/8-1/2 inch cuts all over my nipples. I tried everything I knew (I know more now) but we weaned.

So I've been there. What you're doing sounds like a very reasonable way of making sure you're comfortable, but your child still gets breastmilk. I wish I'd done that!

HOWEVER I think the OP is referring t people who blythely equate teeth with weaning. Every nursing relationship is different--some kids bite, some drive-by nurse, some are attached to the nipple for three years--and for so many people in our society to say, "Oh, time to stop nursing once those teeth come in!" is an enormous generalization based on misinformation.

My standard reply now is, "If babies shouldn't nurse once they have teeth because they might bite, then by that logic people shouldn't be giving bl** j*bs." Look 'em straight in the eye when you say it, too--especially the men.

· Registered
10,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Corrie~I see your point and I can understand something like that making you cringe. It sounds horrble! My oldest DD use to do things like that but not on a daily basis. When she got a little older(1o months or so I think) and still use to do it I would pull her off and sit her down, examine my nipple for marks and not nurse her again for a few minutes as per a LLL leaders suggestion. I though it was a little cruel but it did work, after the 5th time of beeing taken off she didn't do it anymore so I do know the feeling.
BUT as Gurumama points out....THESE words are coming from most people who have never breastfed a child! No one in my family has successfully(iow weaned way before teeth) and most of the strangers that comment admit to only FF or weaning early (as in I tried for a few days so..). That's my hangup.

UlrikeDG~
:LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.