Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my first appointment yesterday afternoon at 9w4d. I immediately "peed sugar" on the dip test (at 250). This happened to me in my first two pregnancies, also, but not until my third trimester and it never progressed beyond that. My boys were 7lbs10oz(DS1) and 7lbs13oz(DS2). I didn't do the GD test in either pregnancy. My midwife drew blood for a hemoglobin A1C to try to get some more information. I hadn't eaten any "sugar" yesterday except for a homemade fruit salad at around 11am and my appointment was at 4pm. I was also hoping to hear the heartbeat, even though it's early, but she forgot her "early doppler" (I didn't know there was such a thing) and the regular doppler didn't pick up anything. Also, at the top of my fundus (which was well above my pubic bone- I guess due to this being my third pregnancy) there is a marble-sized lump. My midwife guesses it is likely a fibroid on the outside of my uterus, but I am hoping to get the technician to take a peek at it at my 20 week ultrasound to confirm. I then came home and had the worst morning sickness I have had so far. Not a great afternoon, overall. The good news is that there isn't any reason to think that the baby isn't doing well.

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
Sounds like a lot of little things to worry about, and that's no fun.
I hope you and your mw get it all figured out.

And yeah...at least with the m/s, you don't need to worry that something's going on in there!

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Sorry it wasn't the "up" we all hope for at our first appointments.
. The first trimester is just so hard!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I, stupidly, googled "high blood sugar in the first trimester" and came up with stats showing a 2-5 times increased risk of birth defects, including spina bifida, heart and bone defects. As if there isn't enough to worry about during pregnancy already. I will know more once I get the HA1c results- I guess < 8.5 is good.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am a Type II diabetic and was controlling blood sugars with Metformin b/f I got pregnant. I am 11w4d today and I am on 1500 mg Metformin & 5 units/insulin b/f breakfast & 5 units at bedtime. My A1C was 6.7 when I first realized I was pregnant and my endo said that was way too high for pregnancy - hence why I was put on insulin. Last week it was 6.3 and she said that was better but wants it at least at 6.0 until I deliver. I have to have sugars of 70-90 first thing in the morning & under 140 after I eat a meal. So far so good. My "all day" sickness has been out of control too. Too much vomiting/nausea but I have managed to keep some food down and sugar under control.

Hopefully you won't have to deal with all of this but it can be done. Hang in there and don't be worried. I will be sending lots of good vibes your way!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input, jbauer98. I am not as concerned about coping with the diabetes as the effects on the baby. I have severe uncontrolled acid reflux and have been on very restrictive diets for that- I assume a diabetic diet will be similar and I know I can do it. I will be so sad to give up my "goodies", though. I guess another consideration is hypoglycemia- anyone have any experience with that?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.