1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woman Cleared in Retrial of Son's Death
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...072601859.html

Quote:
A woman who spent about two years in prison for the stabbing death of her 10-year-old son was acquitted at her retrial Wednesday, after the defense insisted the murder was carried out by a masked intruder, possibly a Texas death-row inmate who has confessed.

Quote:
Rea-Harper told police she wrestled with a masked intruder who attacked her son. Her attorney argued that evidence demanding an acquittal included the absence of Joel's blood on her hands, arms, legs and clothes at a crime scene where the killer, forensic experts testified, would have been saturated with the boy's blood.

Prosecutors told the jury there were no signs of a struggle or that anyone had entered the house.

Special prosecutor David Rands called Sells "a red herring thrown up by the defense" and said he was not a suspect.
This confuses me! How can there be enough to aquit, but not try to prosecute the guy who confessed to the murder? ETA: poor mama!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pumpkinsmama
Woman Cleared in Retrial of Son's Death
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...072601859.html

This confuses me! How can there be enough to aquit, but not try to prosecute the guy who confessed to the murder? ETA: poor mama!
It sounds like the confession was not really what created a reasonable doubt about her guilt, but rather the physical evidence. Based on what the prosecutor said, I would guess that the confession was not believable. Maybe the confessor was mentally unstable and/or his story didn't fit the facts?

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
:puke

Sick man. If you are sensitive, don't read the whole link, you just need this part

Quote:
9/9/2004-In early July, Julie Rea-Harper, who was convicted of killing her son Joel was released on a technicality unrelated to Sells' confession. She was promptly arrested again and re-charged with the murder of Joel. DNA tests on hairs found in Joel's hand after his death are being compared to Sells DNA.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.