Mothering Forum banner
361 - 380 of 402 Posts

· Registered
667 Posts
Tonight: Sausage quiche

Tomorrow: Green lentils with wine glazed vegetables and mashed potatoes

Monday: Black bean burritoes

Tuesday: Pepperoni pasta casserole

Wednesday: Some kind of chickpea curry. Haven't decided exactly yet.

I'm sure at some point this week we'll have leftovers and the whole thing will get bumped back a day.

· Registered
456 Posts
Wow! I'm impressed. I have never been a meal planner to this extent where I know what I'm having every day. I just sort of wing it every night. I always have good intentions of meal planning. In fact, that's why I'm on line today to find recipes so I can plan meals for the week.

We're vegetarian and I have a pretty good collection of cookbooks and recipes but am always looking for new ideas. Especially quick ones!

· Registered
667 Posts
One of the favourite vegetarian recipes in our house is black bean burritoes. We have it once/week at least. I can make a huge batch and it refrigerates/freezes beautifully. It's super-cheap to make and I can put just about any leftovers in it!

· Registered
667 Posts
Lynn's Black Beans

I don't have any amounts or timing for anything... but you can't screw it up, honest! Soak a whole lot of black beans for as long as you can, up to a day. Cook them in the pressure cooker for about 12-15 minutes (it's better to over-cook them). When you drain them, reserve the liquid.
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Fry up a bunch of onions, coloured peppers, garlic, finely chopped celery and finely chopped carrots. Anything else you have on hand can be thrown in as well (like mushrooms, shallots, green onions, etc.). When the onions are getting translucent, add a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste and the juice of about half a lime along with very generous amounts of freshly ground black pepper, dried rubbed oregano, ground cumin, paprika, chili powder and cayenne pepper. Stir until incorporated. Add the beans and enough liquid to make it soupy. Turn the heat down to low and simmer. If you prefer, mash the beans some with the back of a wooden spoon. Adjust spices as needed. As the liquid cooks out, continue to add more of the bean "juice" while you prepare the fixins.

Other things can be easily added to this depending on what you have on hand. You can substitute canned, drained tomatoes for the tomato paste, or you can leave it out altogether. I've added mashed potatoes, corn, chickpeas, mashed squash, rice, etc.

Serve with fresh tortillas, avocado, sour cream or yogurt, tomato, lettuce and cheese.

· Registered
2,093 Posts
Tonight: Braised Beef Ragu' with Root Vegetables, over Potato Gnocchi?

Tomorrow: Lentil-Sausage Soup w/Mustard Greens. Potato & Rosemary Bread.

Wednesday: Making Corn Tortillas with a friend, so: Braised Chicken Verde Tacos, with Guacamole, etc.

Thursday: Penne with sautéed cremini mushrooms, baby spinach, red bell peppers, and goat cheese.

Friday: Quesadillas with chilied, garlic-smashed black beans, corn, cilantro and goat cheese (and leftover chicken verde, if there is any).

I've never planned out the week's meals before!

It'll be a miracle if I stick to it, and don't get hungry for other things, instead!

alsoSarah

· Registered
2,595 Posts
Today: Lentil soup with carrots and portabella mushrooms, corn muffins
tuesday: Black bean and sweet potato quesadillas, beans and rice
wed: chickpea and potato curry, chapatis
thurs: baked potatoes with broccoli cheese sauce and/or leftovers
friday: homemade thin crust veggie pizza with fruit smoothies
sat: lentil sloppy joes, veg, salad

· Registered
1,984 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynnseedoil View Post
Lynn's Black Beans

I don't have any amounts or timing for anything... but you can't screw it up, honest! Soak a whole lot of black beans for as long as you can, up to a day. Cook them in the pressure cooker for about 12-15 minutes (it's better to over-cook them). When you drain them, reserve the liquid.
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Fry up a bunch of onions, coloured peppers, garlic, finely chopped celery and finely chopped carrots. Anything else you have on hand can be thrown in as well (like mushrooms, shallots, green onions, etc.). When the onions are getting translucent, add a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste and the juice of about half a lime along with very generous amounts of freshly ground black pepper, dried rubbed oregano, ground cumin, paprika, chili powder and cayenne pepper. Stir until incorporated. Add the beans and enough liquid to make it soupy. Turn the heat down to low and simmer. If you prefer, mash the beans some with the back of a wooden spoon. Adjust spices as needed. As the liquid cooks out, continue to add more of the bean "juice" while you prepare the fixins.

Other things can be easily added to this depending on what you have on hand. You can substitute canned, drained tomatoes for the tomato paste, or you can leave it out altogether. I've added mashed potatoes, corn, chickpeas, mashed squash, rice, etc.

Serve with fresh tortillas, avocado, sour cream or yogurt, tomato, lettuce and cheese.
Just have to say YUM!! Thank you!

We're veg's and I can't have dairy (ds is sensitive) so our options are limited (can't find a good vegan cheese that melts, any suggestions?)

Tonight: Mama's Mock Meatloaf (w/ Gimme lean "beef")
Mashed potatoes
Steamed Green beans

Tues: Tofu Spinach Lasagna
Salad
Garlic Bread

Wed: Veggie Burgers
Baked French Fries
Salad

Thurs: Enchilada Bake
Spanish Rice
Salad

Fri: Shepherds Pie
Salad

Sat: Buffalo Wing "Nuggets"
Baked Beans
Celery/Carrot Sticks

Sun: "Beef" Stroganoff
Salad

· Registered
667 Posts
My menu this week:

Today: Made 3 dozen banana/dried fruit muffins to freeze for snacks during the week (and beyond)
Tonight: Albondigas (meatballs) with tomato sauce and rice. It's my MIL's recipe and one of DH's favourites
Tomorrow: Bean burritoes with fresh tortillas. The beans are left over from last week.
Tuesday: A friend of mine is bringing pizza over! Mmmm!
Wednesday: Homemade pizza. I'll use the leftover tomato sauce from albondigas and the leftover fresh tortillas with some leftover cheese from a few days ago! (I'm pretty proud of myself for this multiple leftover idea!) It's going to conflict with the take-out pizza from Tuesday but, hey, who can't eat pizza two nights in a row!?
Thursday: Chickpea curry with vegetable patties. Two new recipes from my Indian cookbook.
Friday: Something meaty. I haven't decided yet.

· Registered
3,196 Posts
Sat - Minstrone soup
Sun - Sloppy joes, fries, and peas
Mon - Baked fish or chicken with wild rice and corn
Tues - Chili
Wed - Asparagus and chicken penne pasta and garlic bread
Thurs- Baked ravioli and garlic bread
Friday - Pizza

· Registered
456 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mommy2girlies View Post

Sun: "Beef" Stroganoff
Salad
I like your menu....I might have to steal some of it as it looks similar to the kinds of things we eat and that I have time to make.

I'd love to hear how you make your "beef" stroganoff. I use Annie's in a box but if you have a different recipe, I'm all ears!!!

· Registered
1,629 Posts
I'm going to jump in and post mine, starting a couple of days ago:
Th: lentil sloppy joes, roasted sweet potatoes, garlicky lima beans with lemon and parsley
F: homemade pizza, piled high with art hearts, spinach, broccoli, onions
S: Mexican night: homemade tortillas, sauteed onions and bell peppers, spicy/smoky/sweet black beans, cauliflower patties
Su: lasagna
M: split-pea patties, roasted potatoes, salad
T: broccoli and brown rice casserole, leftover patties, salad

· Registered
667 Posts
Yesterday: Homemade pizza
Tonight: Spinach/Sausage Quiche
Tomorrow: Leftover Quiche
Tuesday: Lasagna
Wednesday: Chicken/Spinach Curry

· Registered
277 Posts
Today: Red Rice, Chicken Milanesa and Brocolli
Monday:Spaghetti with Meatballs
Tuesday: Paella with Escudella(a Catalan soup)
Wednesday: Tortilla de Patatas and Gazpacho(a soup)
Thursday: Homemade Pizza
Friday: Lentil soup, and Yahni(Greek food)

Nothing amazing this week but it's ok

· Registered
1,629 Posts
Here are the recipes. The lentil sloppy joes and the split-pea patties are from some MDCers, with a few modifications probably!

Lentil Sloppy Joes:
1 tbsp oil
1 diced onion
2 - 4 stalks diced celery
2 -4 cloves minced garlic
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp salt
pepper to taste
1/2 - 3/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar or rice vinegar
1 tbspn brown sugar
2 cups cooked brown or green lentils

1. Heat oil in skillet, add onion and celery and cook stirring for 5 minutes. Add garlic, oregano, salt and pepper and cook for one minute. Stir in ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, and water. (Original recipe mentioned mustard here, but no amount was given. Sometimes I squeeze a tablespoon or so in, sometimes not. Tastes good both ways.) Add cooked lentils and heat through.
This can simmer for a long time or be eaten right away.

Split-pea patties:
I haven't tried these yet, but they sounded great. A lot of people on the veg thread were raving about them, and that's where I got the recipe.

2 cups dry split peas, green or yellow (I find green hold their shape and texture well)
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup flour of your choice
1 medium to large carrot, grated
1 onion, chopped fine
1 rib of celery, chopped fine
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup nutritional yeast flakes
3 tbsp freshly ground black pepper (more or less to taste)
2 tbsp dried parsley flakes
1 tbsp "old bay" seasoning *or* poultry seasoning
sea salt to taste

Place split peas in a saucepan and add just enough water to cover them by about 1/2 an inch. Bring to a boil and simmer until peas are tender, 40 - 50 minutes. Stir occassionally, and add small amounts of water if needed to prevent burning/sticking. When they are finished they should be tender and of a porridge-type cosistancy (all water should be absorbed/boiled off; no need to drain.) Remove from heat and allow to cool enough to handle.

While peas are cooking, heat the 2 tbsp oil in skillet and add your veggies. Saute until just tender. Set aside.

When peas and veggies are cooled off enough to handle, mix them together with all the seasonings. Taste and adjust as you like. Add just enough flour to make a stiff "dough". Form into balls*, and flatten to about 1 inch thick. Heat a generous amount of oil in a large skillet and fry the patties a few at a time, turning frequently to allow them to brown evenly on all sides. Keep warm in a 275 F degree oven until all patties are cooked; then serve hot.

Broccoli-Brown Rice casserole:
about 2 cups of brown rice (more or less depending on how rice-y you want it)
3 bags of frozen broccoli (less if you don't want it so green!)
1.5 onions
2 cloves garlic
1/4 flour
2 C milk
optional veg. bouillon
1 -2 C sharp cheddar cheese (depending on how cheesy you like it)
salt to taste
lots of black pepper

Saute onions until lightly caramelized and very soft. Add minced garlic and stir for a minute. Clear a spot in the middle of the pan and add the flour there. Toast it, stirring constantly, until it just barely starts to change color. You don't want it to brown. Add milk and whisk to blend in flour. Let this cook slowly for a while, whisking every minute or two, until it thickens into a nice white sauce. While the sauce is thickening, steam the broccoli until crisp-tender. Add a veg bouillon cube (or 1/2) if desired for extra flavor. Add cheese and stir to blend. Check for seasoning and add salt/pepper as desired.

Mix rice and crisp-tender broccoli in a casserole. Pour cheese sauce over the top and mix well. Taste for seasoning again. Top with a little extra shredded cheese and cover. Bake at 375 or so for about 45 minutes, until nice and bubbly.

Or, you can skip the white sauce and use canned cream soup (cream of broccoli is what I used to use). Mix it with the partially cooked broccoli, cheese, and rice. Then bake as above. I'm trying to get off the canned soups, though!

· Registered
1,629 Posts
All my good menu planning intentions went awry when I mentioned to DH that I was thinking of trying Attila the Honey's tofu pot pie later this week. We ended up making it last night, so my plan has all gotten pushed back.

It was well worth it, though. That pot pie is AMAZING. I've never had one of the frozen ones (or any kind of pot pie) before, but I can't imagine that there could be anything better than this one. It was SO GOOD. (Hmm. Seems like there should be a licking your lips smilie, but I can't fine one.)

I always read Attila's menus and wish I could eat at her house, and this just convinced me more!

· Registered
3,563 Posts
Sorry for the format, I am copying and pasting from my excel spreadsheet, and we were out of town for most of last week so that's why its only the weekend and then another full week.

SaturdayMeatloaf, Mashed Potatoes, Green Bean Casserole
SundayQuesadillias, Mexican Rice
MondayBaked Potato Soup, Bread
TuesdayRoasted Zucchini & Potatoes
WednesdayBroccoli, Rice, Cheese Casserole
ThursdayLasagna
FridayBreakfast
SaturdayRed Beans & Rice w/ Sausage
SundayChicken Pasta Salad

· Registered
584 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mommy2girlies View Post

We're veg's and I can't have dairy (ds is sensitive) so our options are limited (can't find a good vegan cheese that melts, any suggestions?)

Have you ever tried follow your heart vegan cheese? It melts!

361 - 380 of 402 Posts