Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I just got (playfully) schooled at elsewhere on MDC for loving my Nojo and admiring the OTSBH.
Apparantly I'm woefully uninformed about slings. What more could I be getting out of my babywearing experience?

I love the padding on my shoulder, and the padded rails. My backup is a simple pouch, and she always ends up with horrible marks on the backs of her knees from it. I imagine a simple ring sling will do that as well if I use it a lot.

I don't love nylon rings (I've already broken one set).

She does have a habit of trying to extend her legs and escape from the bottom. I have to either keep her in really tight, or be prepared to adjust. She can't just pop right out or anything, but she could gradually work herself free if I didn't fix it. We have more of a problem with this on the hip than back or front.

She's almost 18 mo and around 25 lb, I guess. We're slinging less so it may be less of an issue. I've actually been thinking about making a new mei tai since that seems to be a good one for long walks with a toddler. Me, I'm 5'4" and extra fluffy.

Feeling the Nojo love :p

·
Registered
580 Posts
I'm not sure what the "best" slings around MDC are, but I also love my Nojo. I got it before I "knew better", and it's the one I come back to again and again. I really like the padded side rails as well, and my son rode in it until I became pregnant again, and just couldn't carry him anymore. (He was 3 years+ and at least 30 pounds by then!)

I want to get a pouch for the new baby, but I definately plan on keeping the Nojo around.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you like it and it works for you there is absolutely nothing wrong with a NoJo or OTSBH! I felt extremely confined in the padding & couldn't get it adjusted tight enough, so for that reason I love my unpadded ring slings.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Maybe the Nojo & OTSBH don't look as "fashionable" but they are the only ones I can nurse in, I guess b/c they're big & fluffy. I don't use them much for outings anymore though because it's too hot where we live, also I'm only
5'2" and they sort of overwhelm my frame.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
i hated my nojo - it was the first sling i bought, and i couldn't adjust it small enough because of the padding.

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cch
If you like it and it works for you there is absolutely nothing wrong with a NoJo or OTSBH! I felt extremely confined in the padding & couldn't get it adjusted tight enough, so for that reason I love my unpadded ring slings.
I agree, although I'm not a fan of RL at all. I prefer an unpadded pouch. Something small that I can roll up and fit in my purse.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Of course there are drawbacks to every type of sling, I personally have used OTSBH much more than any of my others except maybe my MT. I like OTSBH when babe is asleep and I'm at the store, I prefer MT to take with me 'cuz it's more compact. I also used a New Native pouch which I loved but ds got big and a MT is more comfy with a back carry. Plus I like having both hands free, with OTSBH and NN I was always trying to corral those little hands away from whatever I was doing.
Andi

·
Registered
663 Posts
I don't think there's one sling that is loved by everyone. Everyone has their own tastes and comfort. And there's pros and cons for everone. I wasn't fond of the Nojo or OTSBH because there was too much stuff'n'fluff for me and my little one. While I love my Hotsling, my friend prefers her Bjorn over it-- which I can't stand. Different strokes for different folks

·
Banned
3,341 Posts
Nothing if it works for you, as pp said!

For me the OTSBH was a nightmare because it is huge, bulky, and I couldn't adjust the side rails seperately at all. It felt very unsecure and the closed tail did nothing to relieve bulk so was simply a waste.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Every carrier works for some people, some of the time. The NoJo is just one that doesn't work for a lot of the people most of the time. If it works for you, great!

For me, I'm padded enough already, kthx.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Hey, if you like it and it works for you, there's nothing wrong with that!

For me...the NoJo with its closed tail and heavy padding couldn't cinch enough to fit my 5'2" self, it hung way too low. I also don't like heavy padding and didn't like the look of the fabric. I've heard a lot of similar complaints. While it works for some people, it seems to NOT work for many more people, which is a shame, since it's probably the most available ring sling out there. I hate to think that somebody might try it and think that slings aren't any good because the NoJo didn't fit them well.

I want to see a nice, trim, pretty pouch sling get mainstream exposure!! And mei tais with interchangeable panels, can't you just see the marketing possibilities?

·
Registered
703 Posts
If it works for you, then it's the perfect sling!!

I think many find it cumbersome and if it is too big you can't adjust it properly due to the padding. Some people use it and give up without trying other slings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts