Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should run a rinse first, of cold and baking soda and then add detergent and run a normal hot?? Or do I do the rinse hot too?

· Registered
4,208 Posts
I'd skip the baking soda, but other than that, yep.
Cold rinse or soak, hot wash, hot rinse if you can or whatever you've got. (My washer doesn't do a hot rinse, only a hot wash/cold rinse option, so I wait for the washer to fill and reset the rinse for warm. Then, when that's finished, I fill the washer on hot again, and the switch the dial to rinse when it's full.) Hot rinses work better and getting rid of everything than cold, IMO.

As for the baking soda, I'd see what your water is like and how the diapers come out without additives first. The less you have to do the better. For us, baking soda, TTO, etc. just seem to make things worse.

· Registered
105 Posts
What we do:

1. cold rinse (pre-wash) no detergent, 1/4 cup of Baking Soda
2. hot wash 2 tbsp of detergent
3. cold rinse with 1/4 cup of vinegar

We're all hemp here - no stink, no stains, no fuss, no muss.

Vinegar in the rinse balances the pH resulting from the use of soda in the initial rinse.

Works for us!

-E

· Registered
6,095 Posts
You might put some white vinegar in the final rinse. Helps sometimes to prevent detergent buildup.

I do cold pre-rinse, hot wash and double cold rinse w/vinegar in the final rinse. Machine dry my dipes and hang up the FB's. I hand wash all my other covers and hang them to dry, otherwise I find that the velcro gets wierd and the covers get pilly.

· Registered
20,366 Posts
Does everyone do a prerinse?

· Registered
194 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelBee
Does everyone do a prerinse?
I do, cause I have newborn breastfeeding poop and toddler pee.

I do a cold rinse, then a hot wash with a little dertergant, and then another cold rinse

· Registered
92 Posts
I like a cold prerinse to get all the yuckies out (BF poo and urine). Then I run a normal hot wash with detergent. Then a second cold rinse. It seems like a lot, but we have had no problems with that cycle.

Sometimes I'll add vinegar to the rinse but not always. Sometimes I add a squirt of dawn to the wash cycle too.

Oh - I have hard water and I have to use more soap than the soft water girls. The only time I had stinky dipes was when I cut back on soap.

I was looking at our water usage the other day and it's really not bad compared to before baby.

· Registered
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What's Dawn do if you squirt it in with your dipes? that's what we use for dishes....

· Registered
20,366 Posts
:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.