Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://religionblog.dallasnews.com/a...lims-cond.html

Quote:
The question comes up every time there's an attack by terrorists who say they're acting in the name of Islam. "If all the other Muslims are so peaceful, why don't they condemn these attacks." As I've pointed out before: They do. But it doesn't generally get much play....
As I'm sure this has come up...again....

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I think its just awful that you have to point that out to people......so sorry mama

·
Premium Member
4,686 Posts
yeah. i didnt see one single church comdemning those idiot guys who had the plot to kill obama and 88 other black people.

and the klan professes to be a christian organization. ftr i do not think that they are representitive of christians. or any other religion. at all.

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ian'smommaya View Post
yeah. i didnt see one single church comdemning those idiot guys who had the plot to kill obama and 88 other black people.

and the klan professes to be a christian organization. ftr i do not think that they are representitive of christians. or any other religion. at all.
OK... I'm pretty sure you all get this... (and not just you ian'smommaya
)... but for some reason, the 1.2 or so billion Muslims in the world are responsible for every act perpetuated in our religion's name... yet when criminals/terrorists/etc. of other religions do the same, most people can separate those few with the majority.

·
Premium Member
4,686 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by umsami View Post
)... but for some reason, the 1.2 or so billion Muslims in the world are responsible for every act perpetuated in our religion's name... yet when criminals/terrorists/etc. of other religions do the same, most people can separate those few with the majority.
yeah... it must be frustering. i know i am angry and frusterated about it too.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
My father's side of the family is so anti-Muslim that it makes me sick

I have been trying to educate my father, but he still believes the majority of Muslims are terrorists/support terrorism

My Dad (and his fam) are all hard-core evangelical (ever see "Jesus Camp"?) Christians. I have brought up everything from Timothy McVey (sp?) to The Lord's Resistance Army and he STILL doesn't get it!!!!
:

I am beyond frustrated and distraught to see my own flesh and blood spewing this blatant hatred! (insert offensive puking emoticon here)

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
You're right, it doesn't get put out there when Muslim individuals or groups condemn attacks... but my opinion is that they shouldn't have to. It's an unfair burden that is being placed on their shoulders for something that they are not responsible for.

Peace

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imogen View Post
You're right, it doesn't get put out there when Muslim individuals or groups condemn attacks... but my opinion is that they shouldn't have to. It's an unfair burden that is being placed on their shoulders for something that they are not responsible for.

Peace

·
Premium Member
4,686 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imogen View Post

Peace

oh hell ya. hell ya.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I think she meant that as a "group", Christian leaders don't automatically run to the TV stations and newspapers to condemn KKK activities when they happen. Probably because they know that while the KKK may claim to be Christian-based, most people are fully aware that they are as far from Christianity as one can get. So why the expectation that every time some disenfranchised group of people cause pain, suffering, and death while claiming to be Islamic, is so high, remains a mystery to some of us. I have come to the conclusion that it's just a fear reaction. People want to be reassured, vigorously and loudly, that in fact they are not in immediate danger from their Arab/Muslim (or any other minority group they might not be overly familiar with) neighbor. I do think it's another case of fear of the unknown basically.

·
Premium Member
4,686 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TinkerBelle View Post
Generalize much?

this hurt my feelings and i don't think it was necessary.

what patty says. i try not to generalize actually. i try to take each person at face value and assume the best about them.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I would say that it's because the terrorists that have been Christian (like McVey or Klan members) don't tend to send hate-filled videos to media organizations saying why they killed in the name of Christ. Probably, also because when polls are done almost all Christians will say that what the terrorists did was wrong, while when polls are conducted in primarily Muslim countries, people tend to sympathize with the terrorists, even if they say that the explicit actions were wrong.

I'm not saying it's right; I'm just trying to give an explanation as to why this may be the case.

·
Registered
4,680 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by patty_g View Post
I do think it's another case of fear of the unknown basically.
In the U.S. it's a general public given that broader Christianity and violent agendas, even if couched in Christian terminology, are largely separate. Only the very most vehemently anti-Christian among us openly conflate the two. There is no such American common knowledge about Islam -- there is no passive basis for just knowing better.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChattyCat View Post
I would say that it's because the terrorists that have been Christian (like McVey or Klan members) don't tend to send hate-filled videos to media organizations saying why they killed in the name of Christ. Probably, also because when polls are done almost all Christians will say that what the terrorists did was wrong, while when polls are conducted in primarily Muslim countries, people tend to sympathize with the terrorists, even if they say that the explicit actions were wrong.

I'm not saying it's right; I'm just trying to give an explanation as to why this may be the case.
Got any links for those assertions? I'm not saying they are false, I just get the feeling that they are based out of exactly the kind of incorrect hype mill leading to the op to begin with. I'd say for the KKK esp. most of their killings are not even claimed because they try to present themselves as a legal group so saying they don't send video's etc. is a false path as they do not "claim" the damage they do... and there are tons of "Christians" who would say they are in the right as well as tons of polls conducted in Muslim countries that speak against terror attacks.

Whoops, I guess I am saying those assertions are false

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChattyCat View Post
... while when polls are conducted in primarily Muslim countries, people tend to sympathize with the terrorists, even if they say that the explicit actions were wrong.
Not the case.

Pakistan.... even before Bhutto's assassination
http://pewresearch.org/pubs/674/view...d-to-terrorism

Quote:
In the spring of this year - just months before a suicide attacker would kill Bhutto - only 9% said suicide attacks are often or sometimes justified, while 72% said this kind of violence is never defensible (another 9% say they are "rarely" justified).
Actually this report covers many Muslim countries...
http://pewglobal.org/reports/display.php?ReportID=248

Quote:
The polling also finds that in most majority-Muslim countries surveyed, support for suicide bombings and other acts of violence in defense of Islam has declined significantly. In Turkey, Morocco and Indonesia, 15% or fewer now say such actions are justifiable. In Pakistan, only one-in-four now take that view (25%), a sharp drop from 41% in March 2004. In Lebanon, 39% now regard acts of terrorism as often or sometimes justified, again a sharp drop from the 73% who shared that view in 2002.
I haven't seen much on Indonesia... it's briefly mentioned in the report above. (Indonesia is the world's most populous Muslim country.) I found this related to the Bali bombings...

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2...im-groups.html

Quote:
Muhammadiyah chairman Din Syamsuddin also denounced the misuse of Islam by the Bali bombers to achieve their goals.

Achieving goals through violent means is not part of Islamic teaching that promotes blessings and peace for the universe, he stressed.

"We reject all violence and terrorism. And a jihad can't be achieved by attacking others, even those considered enemies. We must learn after this that the use of violence and attacks cannot be tolerated in our religion," he said.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by umsami View Post
It's ridiculous, isn't it?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.