Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I have not idea but it makes me totally crazy!!! I always want to say to Moms who do this what would you do if soemone made you wait 30 minutes or a glass of water!!!! Why does it seem like a good idea to them?

·
Registered
134 Posts
My MIL drives me nuts with this, I refuse to have her in the house when I have a newborn. She insists babies need to go at least 3 or 3 1/2 hours between feedings so they will be hungry enough to nurse through to the hindmilk. I just feed mine when she seems hungry.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AikeaGuinea View Post
My MIL drives me nuts with this, I refuse to have her in the house when I have a newborn. She insists babies need to go at least 3 or 3 1/2 hours between feedings so they will be hungry enough to nurse through to the hindmilk. I just feed mine when she seems hungry.
I know what you mean! Drives me crazy. I just think our formula culture ahs warped our minds into thinking scedule scedule!! It makes me sad

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Also part of it is so you can schedule you outings so you don't have to NIP

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Ugghhh! This drives me crazy too! What if the little one is just a little thirsty? I know I get pretty irritated when I am thirsty and can't get anything to drink at that moment! When I was reading Our Babies Ourselves I learned that more often a baby nurses the more fat the baby will get and the farther apart a baby nurses the less fat the baby will get. It mentioned that when people schedule feedings some babies who need more fat will tend to want to feed sooner and will then be dubbed a "fussy baby" instead of a hungry one. If anyone is interested in this I will get the book and quote it but this was the jist.

SJ

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
I just don't get that, either.

·
Banned
2,883 Posts
I hate that too! I was at a baby shower a few weeks ago and I was there for maybe 4-5 hours (it was a family thing, and lots of new babies!), and I probably nursed my (almost) 7 month old about 100 times. My DH's cousin's wife was there with her 4 week old, and she only nursed him once.
Every time he acted hungry she put a pacifier in his mouth.

Not only was it sad, but also VERY counter-productive. The amount of time she spent soothing him, and holding that pacifier in his mouth, was WAY more time than she would have spent if she ha just nursed him.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kimmomy2dom View Post
I think somehow they think it makes their lives easier. It makes me so sad, I wouldn't like to go hungry.
It would totally make my life harder to do that... If I have to take a pill or something every two hours, I can never get it right. I'm always forgetting. So to try to remember to feed on a schedule? I'd lose my mind. It's so much easier just to do it when he wants it. And if I'm feeling antsy, like I have a lot to do and I'm stuck sitting while he nurses, I have plenty of things within reach of my main nursing chair that I can do -- read, write thank you notes, etc.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
It always seemed to me, that if you relax, they fall into a schedule on their own. And if you really have to, you can "tweak" it a little bit to fit you.
I don't see the point of worrying about a schedule at all, unless you're going back to work.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ArtistMama View Post
Is she going back to work and trying to get baby used to having to eat on a schedule? That's the only reason I can think to impose a schedule like that.
nope.. she quit and is staying home with the babe... when i wrote that the babe was fussing but when i was done i noticed she was nursing her babe.. she adjusted her schedule cuz her ds was pretty adamant.

but i guess i don't get the whole premise.. she wanted to make sure he was really hungry..

maybe she is against comfort nursing.(whatever the he!! the definition of that is).. right now our relationship is a little brittle in the area of baby... i've overstepped my bounds before with my well intentioned comments and i'm just trying to keep my mouth shut and love my sister and her baby. i think that is part of the reason i posted so i wouldn't say anything to her at the moment.

thank you for comiserating with me.. i knew i would find the love here

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.