Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm very afraid I may already know the answer, but does a diagnosis of gestational diabetes automatically rule out a home birth?
It just hit me about 15 minutes ago that I've been having some symptoms of GD, even though I didn't have it with DS (I know this doesn't really matter though). The symptoms I've been having are:

*Drastically increased urination.
*Sudden, severe bouts of hunger (as in, "I have to eat something RIGHT NOW or I'll be sick.")
*Lots of trouble with yeast infections (I'd never ever had one before this pregnancy, I'm on my 2nd at only 18 weeks!)
*Fatigue... oh the fatigue... I feel like I need a nap all the time, even though DH lets me sleep in and I take naps.

Both of my parents are diabetic to different degrees, and my mom had diet-controlled GD with my younger sister years before she developed Type II. I'm also quite overweight. I understand that these are both big risk factors.
I plan to be very careful with my diet and contact my midwife if anything changes. I see her in a week anyway.
I'm terrified I will be risked out of home birth or, even worse, midwifery care.
Any experience / advice?

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
I'm pretty sure I had these during pregnancy at one time or another and definitely did not have GD (even took the glucola screenings, then did random finger pricks for the last one when they had no issue with it). I was also overweight with all my births.

Technically, where I go they will allow homebirth with concurrent care *if* you have a doctor willing to sign off on it.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Well, I'm not a doctor or anything but what you just described sound like normal pregnancy symptoms to me. I had all of those except the yeast infections and no GD whatsoever.

I know it's easy to worry, especially given your parents' medical histories, but try to relax. Eat lots of protein, almost more protein than you think you can handle, and stay calm. There's no sense in borrowing trouble, as my grandmother always said.

By the way, Henci Goer wrote a pretty scathing analysis of the gestational diabetes test and diagnosis. It gave me a lot of peace of mind, personally. You can check it out here: http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/gdhgoer.html

·
Banned
4,712 Posts
It's possible you have GD, but you don't have increased thirst and all your other symptoms are really pretty normal for pregnancy. Only way to know is to monitor your blood sugar. And if it makes you feel better, starting on the GD diet can't hurt.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
I agree, could be GD or could be just normal pregnancy symptoms. How much weight have you gained?

As far as a home birth, that would really be up to the severity of your condition and your midwife's protocols. Around here most midwives would continue to see you if it can be controlled by diet.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Get a glucose monitor and check yourself. If you do have GD, just keep your blood sugar levels low and it should not prevent you from a homebirth. It would be better for you to know that you have to control your carb/sugar intake, then to just let it go.

I was just diagnosed with GD at 33 weeks (which is questionable in itself).
I hadn't had many of the symptoms, but was really tired and craved high carb and sugar foods. Now, that I am eating better (barely any carbs and very limited grains), I am less tired, less moody, and very happy. I look better too! (Eating like this makes me feel great when I am not pregnant too).
I eat mostly protein and lettuce/veggies. If I eat bread, my blood sugar shoots up.

I noticed the glucose monitors are not that expensive, so you could get the testing materials yourself for $50 or less and see what's going on with your blood sugars... I wish I had bought one years ago, just for fun.

If you did have GD and you keep your blood sugar levels in check, it should not rule out Homebirth. I am actually switching to a homebirth, bc of the GD diagnosis, bc now I know I don't want to go to the hospital, for sure....

Andee

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
My midwives said, "I have never risked someone out JUST because of GD." They even said they felt comfortable with me skipping the test if I wanted to. I would ask your midwife if you are worried. Good Luck!

·
Registered
390 Posts
My midwife doesn't put too much weight on GD. She doesn't require her patients to go for the glucose tolerance test - based on research, which she provides, she isn't convinced that GD is all it's cracked up to be and that women may just process glucose differently when they are pregnant. If someone has been tested and comes up with GD outside of her practice or is concerned, she'll have patients monitor their blood sugar on a home monitor and let them decide if they want further treatment for it. But she requires a VERY strict diet for her patients under any circumstance, so usually ruling out most sugar and white flour eliminates high blood sugar levels. I know most people's concern is the size of their baby if they have GD, but my midwife said it's been her experience that women birth larger babies when they drink a lot of milk and eat a lot of dairy over those with GD. I guess it just depends on the midwife's policy?

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Well....there are 2 seperate questions.....*IF* you have GD, does that mean you can not birth at home? NO!! absolutely not.
however...

Will your chosen provider (or ANY provider) attend you at home with GD...??..uh..maybe? That's a question for your proider!

·
Registered
388 Posts
NO! But, if you are worried, uncontrolled GD could be bad. Controlled GD is about the same as any other birth.

So, the issue you have is to find out if it is, or to automatically take on the GD diet. I suggest both. The GD diet is VERY healthy.

It basically limits carbs (not completely) and focuses on low-glycemic foods and adding protien to every meal. 5 small meals a day are key. So is a small walk after any large meal as moving decreases the sugar in your blood.

I would google it and follow it until you find out, or until the end of your pregnancy.

You can buy a glucometer pretty cheaply.

But, if you suspect it, don't do nothing. Uncontrolled GD can be very, very bad for the baby. However, it is an easy fix.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by littlebb View Post
My midwife doesn't put too much weight on GD. She doesn't require her patients to go for the glucose tolerance test - based on research, which she provides, she isn't convinced that GD is all it's cracked up to be and that women may just process glucose differently when they are pregnant. If someone has been tested and comes up with GD outside of her practice or is concerned, she'll have patients monitor their blood sugar on a home monitor and let them decide if they want further treatment for it. But she requires a VERY strict diet for her patients under any circumstance, so usually ruling out most sugar and white flour eliminates high blood sugar levels. I know most people's concern is the size of their baby if they have GD, but my midwife said it's been her experience that women birth larger babies when they drink a lot of milk and eat a lot of dairy over those with GD. I guess it just depends on the midwife's policy?

That isn't the only concern. The baby's placenta will deteriorate faster, the increase risk of stillbirth, and after birth the baby having low sugar (needing a NICU stay). The big part is really the least of the issues. But I agree, a GD diet through pregnancy is soooo healthy and elimantes most issues.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Those sound like normal pregnancy to me, including the yeast infections. I do not have GD or any symptom of it, but I've been having chronic yeast infections this pregnancy. As of tonight, 33 weeks, my fasting blood sugar is perfect, my urine is perfect, my weight gain is totally fine, etc. etc.

Yeast infections could be a sign of something wrong, but in all likelihood it's just a normal annoyance.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by purplemoon View Post
That isn't the only concern. The baby's placenta will deteriorate faster, the increase risk of stillbirth, and after birth the baby having low sugar (needing a NICU stay). The big part is really the least of the issues. But I agree, a GD diet through pregnancy is soooo healthy and elimantes most issues.
I agree, but I was just about to comment on your comment. I think the reason she doesn't put so much weight on it is the strict diet we are required to stick to is basically the GD diet to eliminate the risks. I was a little concerned at first when she told me that she doesn't really put much into GD, but then when I saw the diet requirements and restrictions, I saw why. I'm glad you explained it the way you did - you did a much better job than I did : )

·
Registered
390 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunflwrmoonbeam View Post
Those sound like normal pregnancy to me, including the yeast infections. I do not have GD or any symptom of it, but I've been having chronic yeast infections this pregnancy. As of tonight, 33 weeks, my fasting blood sugar is perfect, my urine is perfect, my weight gain is totally fine, etc. etc.

Yeast infections could be a sign of something wrong, but in all likelihood it's just a normal annoyance.
Yeah, I am having annoying yeast issues myself despite my required GD diet (no signs of GD at all, though). I don't have a yeast infection, just yeast overgrowth. I've been taking acidopholus supplements to control it a little better. Sex seems to irritate the yeast growth in ways that I've never experienced before (apparently that's normal in pregnancy). I bathe with coconut oil and that seems to help a lot. Never having had a yeast infection in my life, the first time I realized there was a yeast issue kind of freaked me out a little.

·
Registered
433 Posts
nak

I had GD w/my youngest (1 wk old!) and it was definitely a concern. The main issue was for me to keep my numbers under control so my baby wouldn't be macrosomic (too big) or suffer any other complications. Thankfully, I was able to control my GD w/ diet & exercise, and I had a successful HB. If I had gone on insulin, I would've been risked out.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
We sound a lot alike (symptoms, family history, etc). I'm playing it safe and following the GD diet (which is pretty easy and healthy anyways) to try to prevent problems. I don't think it should interfere with your HB plans if you control your sugars.

Just want to add that my sis had GD, diet controlled, and birthed a 7lb baby naturally at term- but she really focused on her diet. HTH!

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
To me it sounds like your iron may be low as well, have you had it checked?

Try a good probiotic (Natren's Healthy Trinity is great) and that probably will prevent future yeast infections as well.

As far as GD and homebirth, the midwives I've worked with will do HB with GD as long as it is controllable by diet. You risk out if you have to use insulin. I'm not sure if it's state laws or liscencing, but they've all been ridged on that. Of course, I can refuse the test all together anyways!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.