Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just got two new soakers and they both bleed the first time I used them. Would soaking them in vinagar maybe help keep them from bleeding any more? Any other ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
I had a red wool that gave me a fit for a while. I have a hand wash (mini)cycle on my washer I washed and rinsed 4 times and it took care of it. Then re lanolized.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
i dye my own yarn and sometimes it jsut doesn't set well enough. when that happens i soak it in a mixture vinegar and about a teaspoon of salt. then i steam it for 45 minutes. that generally does the trick.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I either steam it in a wire basket (for veggies) on the stove or in my rice cooker. I avoid the rice steamer if I have yarn that's bleeding, though. The dye can stain the rice steamer.

Try washing it in Blue Dawn dishsoap (non Ultra if you can find it. I found a bottle at WalMart once) It's supposed to be very close in makeup to synthrapol, which is a cleansing agent recommended for washing newly dyed garments. It's very effective at pulling out extra dye. Most bleeding is caused by the dye not being set for long enough, so I would try a vinegar soak, gently push the liquid out of the soaker and then steam set it in 10 - 15 minute increments.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.