Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just got two new soakers and they both bleed the first time I used them. Would soaking them in vinagar maybe help keep them from bleeding any more? Any other ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Soaking them in vinegar should help. Have you contacted the WAHM who made them? She should be able to give you ideas too.

Most dyed wool will bleed for a while. Even if it gets onto clothing, it should wash out.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
I had a red wool that gave me a fit for a while. I have a hand wash (mini)cycle on my washer I washed and rinsed 4 times and it took care of it. Then re lanolized.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
i dye my own yarn and sometimes it jsut doesn't set well enough. when that happens i soak it in a mixture vinegar and about a teaspoon of salt. then i steam it for 45 minutes. that generally does the trick.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I either steam it in a wire basket (for veggies) on the stove or in my rice cooker. I avoid the rice steamer if I have yarn that's bleeding, though. The dye can stain the rice steamer.

Try washing it in Blue Dawn dishsoap (non Ultra if you can find it. I found a bottle at WalMart once) It's supposed to be very close in makeup to synthrapol, which is a cleansing agent recommended for washing newly dyed garments. It's very effective at pulling out extra dye. Most bleeding is caused by the dye not being set for long enough, so I would try a vinegar soak, gently push the liquid out of the soaker and then steam set it in 10 - 15 minute increments.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.