Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtn. mama
I am almost afrraid to ask, but what is a soaker? I have seen pics of them but what is their purpose?
A soaker is a wool diaper cover that works like a PUL diaper cover, meaning keeping your little guy dry. Except, wool is natural, breathable and antibacterial. It can soak up to 30% of its weight before it starts wicking. It is wonderful. Also soakers are the things that go on the inside of diapers to make them more absorbant...different thing all together. :LOL

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
A soaker is something that is highly addictive and may cause slight dizziness upon viewing. Don't try one! Your paypal will thank you. :LOL

No really, they are so awesome. We use wool covers and soakers exclusively now

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristyH
A soaker is something that is highly addictive and may cause slight dizziness upon viewing. Don't try one! Your paypal will thank you. :LOL

LOL!!!!!

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristyH

:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I want to
too but am confused.

I have seen the wool soakers and know that they go on the outside. Then I saw some new hemp soakers on ebay and wondered how you use them too.
Why are wool covers and soakers so great?

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
They are great because they are breathable (great for warm weather), they can hold 30% of their weight before it starts to feel wet, they are too cute!

One of the main reasons I like them so much it that they don't have to be washed very often (every 2-3 weeks) unless it gets poopy on it. And don't hold a urine smell. They are naturally anti-bacterial and anti-microbal.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtn. mama
I want to
too but am confused.

I have seen the wool soakers and know that they go on the outside. Then I saw some new hemp soakers on ebay and wondered how you use them too.
Why are wool covers and soakers so great?
I don't know why they call them both soakers...they are not at all the same thing.
The hemp soakers you saw on ebay were the kind that you lay inside your prefolds or fitteds to make them more absorbant. Think of it as a shaped compact prefold that you add to the inside of your diapers if you need more absorbancy.
A wool soaker is like a pair of shorts. You put it over your prefold or fitteds and it keeps your babies clothes or you from getting wet when their diaper is wet.
Wool doesn't need to be washed after every use, actually only every week or more. They don't pick up the "pee" smell because the moisture evaporates and leaves them all clean and yummy...Most wool needs to be hand washed and relanolized to keep them from wicking moisture when your baby is wet. Hmmm...I think that is it...

Oh, and most wool soakers are hand knit and so beautiful. It is soft and not scratchy at all like you might think. It also keeps baby cool in the summer, and warm in the winter.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
SOme other pros of soakers/wool:

You can have a diaper cover that is completely natural (no synthetics or polyurethane coatings, which even the "100% cotton" Nikky's have)
They can be made from recycled clothing - old sweaters make AWESOME soakers
Any kind of bottom that can be knitted out of wool can be used as a diaper cover
Wool seems to be an almost universal solution to nighttime leaks

However, most wool is NOT:
waterproof (your soaker will ony be as good as the diaper under it - if the baby can pee straight thru the diaper, they'll pee straight thru the wool, too, no matter how well-lanolized it is)
machine washable (in most cases)

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I saw the directions on how to turn old sweaters into soakers, a great idea. But as far as knitting your own, can't one use machine washable wool and then be able to throw it into the washer as needed?

My mom (a pro. knitter) works in a wool shop and has access to an unbelievable supply so maybe I should make use of that!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.