Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Hi There,</p>
<p>I am just starting to soak grains/leave things out for a day or two to ferment. I live in the Bay Area and it's extremely foggy in my area, and my home has a mold issue I have to keep at bay with vinegar wipe downs several times a week. I am also thinking of getting a dehumidifier. Once in a while, a piece of whole fruit will mold in a day or two if left on my kitchen counter. My neighbors also have similar issues, just comes with where we live..especially during this time of year.</p>
<p>Could it be dangerous to leave out grains soaking in a kefir or whey/water mix, given my home humidity "issue"? I'm concerned that mold might grow, or be starting to before I can see it and I might eat it/ feed it to the kids. Anyone with a similar issue or have any resources on this ?</p>
<p>Thanks!</p>

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
<p>We're in the bay area too, and we've definitely had fast molding issues occasionally with fruit, but we've never had molding issues with soaking grains or legumes. (or kraut etc for that matter. I've never had moldy kraut in a year and a half.  even if I did, I'd just skim the top moldy bit off and use the bottom).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Usually grains or legumes don't soak for more than a day at room temp (sometimes they soak for several days but after the first day we move them to the fridge.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I suppose it's possible that mold has started to grow on stuff, but I don't think it's likely in the day or 12 hours you'd be soaking things.</p>

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
Another Bay Area-ite here.<br><br>
Fruit molding in a day is already well on its way by the time you purchased it. Take that up with the store, dont blame your house.<br><br>
I havent had any issues w legume soaks or ferments, and ferments take far longer than the recommended 2-3 days in this climate. Kraut usually takes at least a week.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<p>Thanks for these responses! I figured the fruit thing had more to do with the fruit, since its only occasional...and also thanks for the advice on the longer fermentation time in our climate, all good to know. =)</p>

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
<p>(we do kraut more like.... 3-4 weeks here. we could do it in a week maybe, but we like it better that way)</p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts