Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've recently been reading about the increased nutrition in soaked/semi-sprouted grains, and wanted to try some recipes. I do have the Nourishing Traditions cookbook, but it didn't seem to give much detail on how to do this, or on the specific grains in which I'm interested.

I'd love to hear if any of you have a good recipe/method for soaking oat groats or more likely, steel cut oats. If the oats are crushed like that, do you still get the nutritional benefits of soaking? (Since I assume they couldn't begin to germinate that way, and that is where I understand most of the nutrition comes from.) I'd also like to do brown rice. There have been some recent studies on "pre-germinated" brown rice and how good it is, but I can't find it to buy here in the states, other than from my DHC skin-care catalog (weird!?!). Buying from them, it's $4.50 for two cups, plus shipping! I know I can do this myself, I'm just not sure how to do so, and how to make sure I'm not also germinating some kind of icky mold or toxin in the process.

Finally, I'm trying to find a way to have hot cereal ready in the morning when I wake up. I've heard of doing groats or other grains in a crock-pot. Do any of you know what proportions to use? Or how long it can cook? Ideally, I'd soak it for a few hours in the evening (I have lots of fresh whey from cheese and yogurt making), then turn it on before I go to bed. Just don't want to overcook it and ruin the good stuff.

THanks in advance, I'm new here and look forward to reviewing the archives!

Krista

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Well, in my nice rice cooker....

3 cups of water and 1 1/3 cp steel cut oats, with a pinch of salt. I let it set overnight, and have the timer set for 7am.

Just had some this morning.

You could try something similar maybe with a crockpot and see if that is the right amount for crockpot cooking....

Also there is a crockpot recipe for steel cut or irish oats from alton brown... but my crockpot ran too high, and it was just a gooey mess in the morning.... half the reviews stated people had perfect results, and the other 1/2 had gooey messes.... so that is worth at least a try to see how your crockpot performs. Try searching on www.foodtv.com ... I know I searched for it there before, and found it.

Tammy

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the proportion info. I'll give it a try. I hadn't thought about just leaving it overnight...my DH could turn it on when he gets up to shower, and it would probably be ready by the time he got out LOL. (He takes looooong showers.) At any rate, it would be ready for me and my son - especially if it had soaked all night.

I'll check out the website too.

Do you have any info on whether or not soaking steel cut oats actually improves their nutritive value? I'm thinking, broken germ = nothing to germinate. But I
?

Thanks again,
Krista

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
So I did a little research online. I would list the sites but i went to several to gather the pieces. Turns out steel cut oats and any other oats that are not labelled "raw" have been steamed to protect them from going rancid and they will not sprout. However you should be able to make steel cut oats (3 oarts water to 1 part oats) in a crockpot on low overnight. Raw oats need to be refridgerated so if you see them at the store ont he shelf, stay away. Whole oats can also be crockpot cooked the same way. I would still liek to know more about sprouting, but before I can think about that, we need to eat the 50 pound bag of steel cut oats I have in the freezer. Good luck!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks yooper, for your reply. Sorry I didn't respond earlier - we've been on vacation. I'd wondered about any processing of the steel cut oats, because they never seemed to smell rancid to me when buying them in bulk - but almost all other whole grains do at some point or another.

That's my problem. Our local co-op has bazillions of grains and legumes in bulk, but they are all out on the shelves, not refrigerated. However, they are in very small quantities and most seem to go very quickly, so I have only noticed a few smelling rancid in the past. However, just because it doesn't smell rancid I guess, doesn't mean it isn't. Ah well, you can only do what you can right? Organic and soaking will have to do for now. I'll deal with the processing of grains as I can. Maybe I can find a local farmer who grows grains (I know we have some teff farmers here) and get them fresh. Ha Ha! Can you imagine buying just 4 cups of oats from a farmer? =)

Krista

·
Registered
594 Posts
Before you go to bed at night put the following in your crockpot on the LOW setting:

2 cups of whole grains (brown rice, oats, 1/2 brown rice and 1/2 barley, etc...)
6 cups water
1/2 cup raisins or other dried fruit
1 or 2 chopped peeled tart apples
1 teaspoon cinnamon (and a dash of nutmeg if you like)

In the morning you have an easy hot breakfast! The fruit may sweeten it enough for your taste or you can add a natural sweetner like stevia, brown rice syrup, honey, maple syrup, etc...and add milk if you like. It makes enough to keep in the fridge for 2-3 days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.