Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
I don't use yogurt when soaking rice. I use just plain water + some sea salt. In 24 hrs, I see the brown rice sprouted, which I wash and add about 1.45 cups of water and cook on stove top.

If it sprouts, it means that the phytic acid is neutralized.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Do you cook 1 cup of brown rice in 1.45 cups of water?

Also, if it sprouts, do you cook that as well,

with the rice & eat it,

or do you remove the sprout & eat it raw?

Or do you just discharge it?

What is the shortest & longest time you have left the rice soaking in water?

Do you know why some people use yogurt to soak it in?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakti77 View Post

I don't use yogurt when soaking rice. I use just plain water + some sea salt. In 24 hrs, I see the brown rice sprouted, which I wash and add about 1.45 cups of water and cook on stove top.

If it sprouts, it means that the phytic acid is neutralized.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I only use water when soaking beans and grains. But I don't just soak overnight or even 24 hours. I soak until it is right before fermented. So when soaking beans I soak 2-3 days, and rice, 1-2 days.

·
Registered
398 Posts
The brown rice sprout is just a tiny white dot on the ends and yes it still needs to be cooked (Atleast I like my rice cooked!). I throw the soaked in water as it smells a bit sour, then I add 1 3/4 cup water and 1/2 tbsp coconut oil. Let it come to a boil and cook it in lowest heat (setting 2 on gas stove / same worked for electric stove as well) covered for 45 to 50 mins.

I've noticed that 1.5 cups of water is okay as well, cooked for about 30 mins. but I like my rice soft so I use more water.

Why rice has to be soaked: The bran covering on top of the rice has phytic acid. People soak it with rice to neutralize it. Sprouting the rice / grains / beans / peas etc is one of the best possible ways to ensure phytic acid has been neutralized and the nutrients in the food can be assimilated into the body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryangels View Post

Do you cook 1 cup of brown rice in 1.45 cups of water?

Also, if it sprouts, do you cook that as well,

with the rice & eat it,

or do you remove the sprout & eat it raw?

Or do you just discharge it?

What is the shortest & longest time you have left the rice soaking in water?

Do you know why some people use yogurt to soak it in?

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.