Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past 2 weeks I have found holes starting in 2 of my SOSs, my LD candy wrapper has got some thin spots in the print side and also wicked through once, and my manyducks AIO wicked through last night. Why do they all have to go at once? bad diapers, bad bad diapers.

On the bright side, I just ordered 4 new candy wrappers from Luke's Drawers! I haven't had diaper mail in ages and ages. I think Shosh will be pleased at getting new, LARGER diapers.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by blazfglori
There are holes in 3 of my...err my son's... SOS's...right along the stitching where the soaker is sewn in.
The only SOS I have is new
, but there are holes in several of my bikini cut cuddlebuns and cuddle-in-ones in the same place as you describe-- right along the stitching where the soaker is sewn in.

I think that a sewn-in soaker is conducive to this hole-wearing-- because during wearing and wash, the edges of the soaker (several or many layers, with a relatively sharp edge) rub up against the stitching or the edge of 1 layer of fabric (in the case of my CB). The stress of that (combined with the eroding nature of pee and poop) wears at the stitching and the fabric.

Karla, somewhat obsessed with diaper construction at the moment

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
I have never had any diaper wear out on me but a prefold, believe it or not it was used more then anything because I used the infants as doublers with Zeke because he was and is the pee-master! I guess the reason why none of my other diapers got worn out is because I have too many of them and feeling rather ashamed of that lately. I would love to see even one diaper get all ratty just to see what it looked like......wah!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by wannabmommie
O diaper geek, what can you tell us about fuz? Is that the same thing?
: Diaper Geek, enlighten us! And btw, long time no see on chat!
Hey Wanna,

you rang for diaper geek?

The holes that the SOS diapers tend to get are different than the holes that the fuz dipes tend to get. The SOS diapers are sewn on the inside of the diaper, in 2 channels that run down the long length. These channels secure the internal soaker to the body of the dipe so that the diaper stays nice and orderly. In the Fuz dipe, the internal soaker is secured to the body of the dipe by sewing along the back: the internal surface (i.e. against baby's skin, is smooth (without sewing lines or channels). For whatever reason, the SOS dipes develop these holes along those internal lines or channels.

The Fuz dipes develop holes along the binding, which is probably what you've read that has confused you. In a recent poll, over half the people who had Fuz fitted dipes reported that their dipes developed holes in the binding. Whereas SOS dipes are serged along the edges (i.e. thread goes around the cut edge of the diaper, fuz dipes are bound along the edges with matching fabric (either hemp fleece or organic cotton). What "binding" means is that a separate piece of fabric (imagine something really long and skinny, like 1/2" wide) goes over the edge of the diaper and is sewn in place. This makes for a relatively stiff edge (unlike serged edges, or compared to them), and I think why fuz develop holes is that over time (esp. with hemp) these edges stiffen up, and then they beat against the washing machine or the dryer parts and the fabric gets worn (sort of like the effects of beating the edge of your diaper against a rock).

Someone else might have ideas about this, too.

Karla

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
wow! thanks diaper geek!
Recent poll....:LOL over HALF!!!! Wow, and I just got another one, and at the more expensive prices for those things....but their *so cute
;but, I guess clearly not practical!
: And wouldnt that be something that Lori would check into if so many customers are having that problem?
: did I just break my first MDC rule by sayin that?

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
I discovered a hole in the top back binding of my newer fuz last week

I once got a teensy hole on an SOS -PRR outter print. Along the soaker stitching

My ds's favorite diaper, veggie tales heavenly hieny's, is getting some mega holes in the outter now

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
all my favorites are wearing out too.

almost all of my SOS have holes where you guys are describing. also the outers are really really holey too.

i've already had to retire my 2 El Bee dipes because the edges were shredded.

and i sold what little Fuz i had because those edges were fraying too.

originally i thought that i'd be able to use these diapers for all my kids but now i know that i won't.

i'm thinking next time i'll probably buy mostly prefolds since the cost is sooooo much better.

over holey diapers

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
How long have you all been using these diapers??

I've had the same thing happen with some that I made myself...but only the ones that have hemp jersey inner with the soaker sewn in. Right at where the soaker is sewn in too. I haven't had it happen with any of my cotton velour diapers (also with sewn in soakers).

All of my purchased diapers are too new to comment on.

Have any of you had probs with the Fireflies doing this?

·
Premium Member
12,839 Posts
My SOSes got holes pretty fast. A few prefolds shredded. My snuggleups fell apart and I use the innards as doublers. Someone gave me Indisposables and these got holes like SOSes and fell apart. But you know what- my favorites are still holding up. None of these were my favorite. Is that weird, or what?

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
all of mine are about a year old. so that's like 50 weeks, 2-3 washes a week, 100-150 washes for each of them. that ain't too bad, i just hate to see them wearing out. i figured i could sell those SOSs when she potty trained, now I guess I will have them free for shipping or something.
i almost wish i was using sposies because i would not be emotionally invested in those stupid things.

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
I also have many favorites wearing out.
I have come to the conclusion that my new favs are serged dipes with snap in soakers. All of my sos's are holey(ecept the one poly fleece lined one I have), my fuz I sold because it seems like my washer is rougher on them, they got holes faster than anyone else I had heard of, and now my el bees are getting ratty on the edges too.
So no more bound dipes or sewn in soakers for me.
But I have heard that those with front loaders have better luck with these dipes. They are gentler than top loaders...

edited to add that my cloud 9 hemp softies are so shredded they are almost only soakers now. :LOL

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
my SOS are getting the same holes as evefryone elses. Thats ok though, it makes them endearing. kinda like a security blanket.

i have 4 fuz. i have noticed that my hemp binding shreds alot faster than the o cotton. i also have a beach chair fuz that my washing machine absolutely loves to eat binding holes in.

i have a front loader, too.

bak

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Quote:
my fireflies are going strong. i even had an older than old one (i think it was one of Lori's firsts) that was just starting to do the fall apart thing.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mamaBlue
my fireflies are going strong. i even had an older than old one (i think it was one of Lori's firsts) that was just starting to do the fall apart thing.
My FF are not that old, but I wouldn't expect them to get holes in the same way that the Fuz do, because the edges are serged, not bound. IME serged edges may fray just a bit and sort of look thready, but they are very strong.

Karla

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
wow
I haven't had any diapers develop holes yet...and I even used a tiny bit of bleach once.

I've used some of my SOS diapers for almost a year and other than the few light stains, they look just like new. I'm not even careful with my diapers, I do not line dry them...I wash them in super hot water, and I've used washing soda on them more than once.

I don't know what I'd do if my diapers started falling apart

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by clothcrazymom
One of my newer FF's is developing a tiny hole where one of the soakers is sewn on.
This has been the first place my old FF's have gotten holes as well. I think those flaps get a lot of wear in the washer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.