Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everything I have read/been told is that at this age, social studies cover the child himself, then gradually expand to the family and then the community. My 5yo already knows this stuff, just from living it
. He has a very inquisitive mind, and I would like to provide something more for him. Any ideas of where to go, what to study? And, if so, materials (online or otherwise) that would be useful and appropriate for a 5yo?
TIA!

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
We went backwards. Have you seen the book Looking Down? It's a picture book that starts out in space, and slowly the pictures focus closer and closer until you see the planet, then the continent, then the region, then city, then neighborhood, house, boy, and finally, the ladybug under the microscope. It's a great way to introduce that we are part of a whole, not the world revolving around us. There's also a sister book, Zoom, that goes in reverse - close up to far away.

Also, Wake Up, World!, and Tidy Up, World! help to show the differences and similarities of children all over the world. We did an activity with Wake Up, World! where we added our own story - taking pictures throughout our day and writing captions to go with them.

My 8yo and I have been reading The Little Prince, which is a wonderful story of a small boy exploring other lands and finding himself at the same time.

Do you have any community events available? We have an annual fire day, where the fire department takes over the park and gives demonstrations, lets the kids try out the hoses, crawl out of a "smoky" house (a specially made trailer) and learn about fire safety. The state fair is a great resource for finding out what your area grows, locally made products, community workers, etc.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll have to look into the books- they sound really good.

We did go to the county fair this year, and have been to the state fair before, though not this year. We also go to the children's museum nearby, which has fire trucks, police cars, etc for the kids to explore as well as a mini grocery store, post office, & bank. And we have visited the fire station, a farm, and several zoos.
I like the idea of giving him a better view of the world as a whole, letting him get a taste of other cultures, etc, just so that he'll know that his lifestyle isn't the only one out there.
I'm just not totally sure how to go about this.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
We're doing a 'tour' of the world as kind of an intro to other cultures. We made up a passport for each of the boys (just sheets of construction paper folded in half and bound with yarn). Colwyn's only four, so he only knows of a few countries, but we've been studying those first.

For Ethiopia, we listened to a Putamayo African Playground CD a lot, looked up stuff on YouTube, colored a few Ethiopian geography printouts, looked at the globe, got some Ethiopian takeout, made a mancala board, and played an Ethiopian hide-and-seek game I found online. We also got a few books out from the library, both fiction and nonfiction. When we completed the activities I had planned (it took us about 2-3 weeks, 'cause we're pretty laid back), we made a big show of stamping their passports.

My kids are still young, so I tried to keep it really simple. I just tried to find something to do with music, food, art, literature, geography, and something active.

I think www.letteroftheweek.com is coming out with something similar, but there are only a few countries completed so far.

We're doing Wales now, then we'll do Iceland, Mexico, Germany, China, and Ireland (probably in that order). Who knows where we'll go from there.

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
for social studies, i use the BCP lessons at: http://www.baltimorecp.org/lessons/draft_lessons.html

scroll down to grade K.

for september i did the geography lessons first, then the history, and now i'm on world civilization. they flow well this way. all of these lessons are very hands-on and my dd loves them! you do need a map and a globe for the bcp lessons - just fyi. the BCP lessons follow the core knowledge sequence....and here's their scope and sequence that goes with these lessons: http://www.baltimorecp.org/lessons/lesson_titles.htm

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you, thank you! Those books and sites are awesome! I bookmarked them so I can explore them later. I think I can put something together that he'll enjoy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.