Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is 2 1/2 and I have some family members insisting that he needs to be "socialized" in a 2s program. DS is hypersensitive and slow to warm. He is clingy when we attend mommy and me classes, but gets into a groove and always participates. He is NOT shy but sometimes FEELS shy (that distinction is important to me). He is quite outgoing and personable around those he's comfortable with.

I don't think the class is necessary and I don't think he'd be losing out by not going (contrary to what family thinks). I can't force my son to be quicker to warm up to others. He is who he is (I am very much the same way, so I get it). I'm being made to feel like I'm depriving him or something, though. Thoughts?

·
Registered
86 Posts
you are the mother and the one who knows him the most.
Why bodering in paying attention to some advices you know are not the best for your son??

·
Registered
530 Posts
I always read (and it makes sense to me) that the most important socializing when they're really little is with their family, especially the primary caregiver.

On the other hand, a child who warms up gradually might eventually enjoy a preschool. My daughter often felt very shy (and still does), nevertheless she was able to start a preschool class around then. I would never have taken her to a school that made you just leave them even if they were crying. We never left until she was ready for us to go. We had that luxury - only one parent working at any given time - and we let her be the guide for how it worked out. She ended up loving it and I often had a tough time getting her to leave when I came to pick her up. Around the time she turned 3, she started really playing with other children more.

Personally, if you don't have to push it for financial reasons, I think there's no reason to force that kind of thing on your child at 2-1/2. If you plan to do regular school, then a year of pre-K does help them learn how to line up, come when called to a group, ask the teacher to go to the bathroom - that kind of thing. But it's not as if kindergarten is breathing down your neck right now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
the first thing the children learn the gender because it is a natural facet of the world . the importance children place on gender varies by class , family structure,sexuality of parents etc.childcare and play group it is the imp for them to interact with other children to their age and another age

·
Registered
22 Posts
He is NOT shy but sometimes FEELS shy (that distinction is important to me). He is quite outgoing and personable around those he's comfortable with.
My kiddos are both in day care (because we both work). They are 2 and 3 and have both been in daycare since they were 6 weeks old. The both still FEEL shy. Putting your children in a class will not change that.

As for whether or not you should put your child in any sort of socialization is completely up to you. There are positives and negatives to it. Sounds to me like you are already participating in a Mommy and Me class, and that's more than lots of children that age.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
There will always be family trying to stick their opinion where it doesn't belong. ;) I got a lot of that when my introvert dd1 was little and it drove me crazy-the implication that being slow to warm up was a defect of character that needed to be fixed. She's a young teen now and her tendency to watch for awhile to size things up before joining in is definately a strong point!

If you think he'd have fun go for it, but he absolutely won't be missing out on anything by staying home, and it sure won't make him warm up to others quickly if he's not inclined to. Heck, most 2 yr olds are slow to warm up IME.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My son is 2 1/2 and I have some family members insisting that he needs to be "socialized" in a 2s program. DS is hypersensitive and slow to warm. He is clingy when we attend mommy and me classes, but gets into a groove and always participates. He is NOT shy but sometimes FEELS shy (that distinction is important to me). He is quite outgoing and personable around those he's comfortable with.

I don't think the class is necessary and I don't think he'd be losing out by not going (contrary to what family thinks). I can't force my son to be quicker to warm up to others. He is who he is (I am very much the same way, so I get it). I'm being made to feel like I'm depriving him or something, though. Thoughts?
socialization contributes to the development of kids personality.

·
Registered
4 Posts

socialization contributes to the development of kids personality.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts