Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you ladies know if your cervix is soft? I'm not having internal exams yet, and won't until week 39. DP tried to feel around in there, and thought he felt it, but said it was hard... also said 'well it might be your vaginal wall too.' He thinks his fingers aren't long enought to reach my cervix

So.... how do you tell? What does it feel like? Should DP be able to reach it? Thanks!!!

· Registered
2,051 Posts
The only way I can feel it (sometimes
) is if I take a shower then stand with one leg up on the side of the tub while I'm in the shower. Two benefits to doing it there: 1)You/your hands are clean and 2)easier to position.

Do you/your partner know what you are looking for? When I was tracking fertility and cervical position, they likened it to the end up your nose or pursed lips. I think the pregnancy cervix is more like a pottery vase with a very, very small opening (if any). Mine is absolute mush and I think 1-2c as far as I could tell (well, when I checked last week, will find out for sure tomorrow at my 36w since they're planning to induce next week for medical reasons and I want to know if my cervix is even favorable for induction). It can be hard to tell, though as someone womens cervixes will not be reachable until labor.

If you search her for cervix checks, there are a couple of good links in explaining how to check. I don't remember them off hand now, though.

· Registered
2,051 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_lissa View Post
I can't reach. No big deal since it is meaningless though.
It's meaningless in terms of how soon you'll go in labor, but it's certainly not neccesarily the case when it comes to the BISHOP's score and whether your cervix is favorable for an induction.

· Registered
297 Posts
I am in the camp of it's your body and no part of your body is off limits to you! I know what my cervix feels like non pregnant and it is quite long and firm, it helps to know so you can compare to now. I just checked for the first time yesterday by squatting in the shower and my cervix feels much different, very soft and short. Almost hard to tell there is a cervix there at all!
Also, I felt around my cervix and I'm pretty positive I can feel the baby's head. How exciting!!

Jenny

· Registered
1,317 Posts
I tried this morning and couldn't feel a thing. My fingers definately aren't long enough!!!! I'm only 33 weeks and 6 days though so I really didn't expect to find anything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.