Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just want to start off by saying this is my second pregnancy. I have a 3 year old son already. With my first son my pregnancy was very hard on me. I was sick all the time and my cervix was opening at 4 months. I was on bed rest very early but manage to have him at 35 weeks. He was only 4lbs though. Now with this pregnancy I have been very good, until I started getting beat up at work. ( I work in a group home). I notices a change in my discharge, it was thick and whitish yellow and it looked as if it was my mucus plug. She of course check my cervix right away and said it was very soft and mushy, and sent me for an ultra sound. I am only 27 weeks and 4 days. The ultra sound showed that my cervix was still good length, but that night I had contractions all night long. I went in and they told me it was because I was dehydrated, ( I don't know how I drink 8 glasses of water a day) and they checked me and said my cervix was still closed. They gave me fluids and sent me home. When I got home more of my plug came out. My question is should I ask my doctor about early maternity leave? or bed rest? or am I just freaking myself out.

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Welcome to MDC!
wave.gif

I'm sorry you're having a rough time! What's been going on must feel especially scary after your previous pregnancy complications. I would absolutely talk with your doctor about your fears and what you should be looking out for, when to seek further treatment, what isn't anything to worry about, etc. But it is good news that your cervix is still closed and a good length. Losing your mucus plug can happen at any point in your pregnancy and it will regenerate. Mucus plug with bloody show is definitely cause for concern as that would indicate that your cervix is dilating. As for contractions, those are much more common earlier on in second pregnancies- especially if you're stressed, dehydrated, tired, or physically working hard. Try to stay as relaxed as possible and not to worry, but definitely follow your instincts if you think something is wrong. Oh, and I might aim for more water a day... like closer to a gallon (4 liters) instead. Eight glasses is closer to half a gallon (depending on the size of the glass of course!).

Have you joined your due date club yet? September, right? It's a great way to talk with other women due around the same time as you. They tend to get a bit more traffic and you might get more responses there. Good luck!
hug2.gif

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.