Mothering Forum banner

Soft, shortened cervix at 28 weeks

16K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  4under6 
OK, I read this and alarm bells went off. I don't want to scare you, but I want to answer your question honestly and try to be as truly helpful as I can...

I think you're experiencing preterm labor. Meaning, it sounds like you are having contractions (that crampy feeling + "BH contractions since 18 weeks") and if they are changing your cervix, it's labor. The good news is preterm labor can go on and on and on. It doesn't mean you're going to deliver tomorrow. The usual remedy is complete bedrest and/or tocolytic (anti-contraction) medicines like terbutaline. Go to your OB tomorrow and get that second opinion.

I went through pretty much exactly what you are at 28 weeks -- even though I didn't have any cervical change, I was contracting up to 13x/hour. I managed to hold out for 4 weeks, but.... I had twins. With a singleton you could go much longer.

Good luck. Please post back and let us know how you're doing. I am going to send prayers your way that your OB says it's all hogwash and that you're 100% fine!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.