Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is solarveil fabric just for sun protection? Or is it designed to keep you cooler as well?

My ds loves to be carried & with summer upon us I'm a little worried about him getting overheated in a carrier. I was wondering if a sling/pouch/mei tei/ made out of solarveil would keep him cooler?
Last year he got very overheated in our maya, otsbh & baby bjorn & I'm searching for something cooler this year!

Any suggestions mamas, your experiences??

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
It is cooler because it has an open weave like mesh or gauze. It can alos be worn in the water and dries quickly. Some people think it feels scratchy, though. Another cool option would be a gauze wrap or the organic cotton mesh from taylor made Slings, which is really soft and lovely.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I looooove solarveil for coolness.
My solarveil testimony is that I wore it for 3 straight days at the Austin City Limits Music Festival last September. It was 95 degrees every day - miserably hot. DH was in just a diaper and hat and did not get one spec of sunburn, and we were both as cool as possible in the solarveil.

Solarveil isn't perfect. It is somewhat scratchy, although that is something I notice more when I'm rubbing it between my fingers than when I'm actually WEARING it. When I'm wearing it, I don't notice the scratchiness, but I do notice the coolness.

It's also not terribly comfortable with a baby over 25 lbs. or so. It's not as supportive as cotton. However, during the Sheryl Crow set, I gave the baby to DH, put my 33 lb., 4 1/2 year old DD on my back in the solarveil, and scooched up to the front row. DD loves Sheryl Crow. The security guard gave us a primo spot and let us go in front of the barrier for one song. She was on my back for over an hour and it wasn't bad.

I really fell in love with solarveil that weekend!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zoelovesmom
It's also not terribly comfortable with a baby over 25 lbs. or so. It's not as supportive as cotton.
If you double it up, it's very supportive. I was comfy with my 35lb 3yo in 2 layers of SV. But then you lose some of the coolness - IMHO.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Another solarveil lover here!

It really does keep you cool with the open weave. I don't think of it as scratchy but more like pilly cotton if that helps at all. It does get a bit softer after washing it too.
I have a one layer sling and use it with my 18+lber and it's a perfect fit-just a tiny bit of stretch makes it very comfy IMO.

I use the tail to cover his head if he's snoozing and it keeps him cool and sunburn free!
Definitely worth it for the summer! (I also have a solarveil mei tai since I love it so much
)
ann

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have a boopa rapture mei tai and I love
it! It has a very neat hood that comes in handy for babies that are not fond of wearing hats. The material is not as soft or smooth as cotton, but dries and breathes so well. Ds does not seem to mind at all. I have used it in the pool and shower
. I live in hot Houston and it works great for both of us. I have two other mei tais and a ring sling, but we both get hot and sweaty using those in the hot sun. It really does seem to get softer after each washing.
I got mine from www.attachedtobaby.com

·
Registered
82 Posts
The solarveil MT is great because it does keep you cooler while adding protection from the sun. The scratchiness isn't much of an issue. I agree with the pp who said that when you are actually wearing it, it isn't noticed as much.

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zoelovesmom
Did I say that??? I meant DS, of course!

:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.