Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
X Posted in Breastfeeding

Harvest is exclusively breastfed and has always had the regular liquidy poop. Well, yesterday he had two really solid poops. It was so strange. The poop looked like we had given him solid food.
Has anyone else experienced this with a breastfed babe? Does it mean dehydration?

·
Registered
106 Posts
My best friends daughter has this problem. She has tried seceral things but I don't think it has completely solved the issue but I think she is not as constipated.

My friend cut out chocolate from her diet and basically any food that might cause constipation. She also started taking a lot more flax seed oil. I'm not sure if she gave the baby any flax seed oil but she might have. I'll have to ask her that.

I will come back with more answers for you but I just wanted to respond now. I hope he gets better!

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
this isn't a problem. breastfed babies don't get constipated unless they are also eating food. you don't say how old your baby is, but at some point the runny poop becomes more solid, it means babies bowel is maturing.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I actually had the same problem with my babe to the point that we had to pull it out of him every couple days with a thermometer and he was so uncomfortable. We finally put him on prescription Miralax (only half the dose the Dr. recommended) for a few weeks b/c it got to the point where it was ripping him bum to push it out even with lube. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hevyne View Post
I actually had the same problem with my babe to the point that we had to pull it out of him every couple days with a thermometer and he was so uncomfortable. We finally put him on prescription Miralax (only half the dose the Dr. recommended) for a few weeks b/c it got to the point where it was ripping him bum to push it out even with lube. Good luck to you.
was this an exclusively breastfed baby? if so, this is very very rare and usually because of an allergy to something mom is eating or baby just not getting enough calories to stay hydrated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.