Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>DD#2 is 6 months old and still EBF. I think she would be pretty psyched for solids - she has been tracking all of our food-related moves since about 4 months, and was using her spoon to "scoop" from the table today.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My hesitations to start her are 1) she can't (well, won't!) sit independently yet, and 2) she still spits up a lot.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The first isn't as big a deal, since she can stand strongly in her jumaproo or exersaucer and eat that way. And she actually can sit, she would just rather move. Anyways.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am used to spit-up breastmilk all the time, but I'm reluctant to deal with food spit up. Do you have any experience with a happy spitter and solids? Is it better to wait?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>(ok, and I'll admit it - I also like that she's sucking calories from me - helps that baby weight!)</p>

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
<p>Well, we started solids at 4 months instead of the usual 6. DS is just turning 6 months and eats solids at least once a day. He still spits up, but it's become much, much less. It's also only seldom that it's food he's spitting up.</p>

·
Registered
983 Posts
<p>My advice is this:</p>
<p>Wait till baby is sitting up unassisted. At that time you will see that the spitting up slows down tremendously.</p>
<p>My DD was no where near ready for solids at 6 months and was doing the tracking and scooping.</p>
<p>She is now 8 months and she only spits up maybe once every other day vs at 6 months, when it was still after most feedings.</p>
<p>I give her smushed up things on her tray to mess around with. She does NOT want to be spoon fed and I'm glad, because it doesnt come naturally for me to think I should do that. She will be finger fed small bits and just likes to feel and think about the taste/ texture. It's cute.</p>
<p>At 6 months if you really feel like you just want to have fun with solids, just let her taste things.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If I was eating a pear, I would get some pear juice on my finger and just put it on her tongue. This way it was just a taste and not stressing out her immature digestive system.</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts