Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had this experience?

I just started giving 6 mo DS some solids: Avocado, Applesauce, and Rice Cereal so far. He seems to really enjoy it and will grab the spoon and put it in his own mouth and loves to pick up the pieces in his hand or suck the pieces off my fingers. He's all smiles and giggles the whole time.

But then once we're done, he has a bit of a meltdown and becomes real clingy and inevitably has to be put to bed right after, no matter how tired he was or when his last nap was.

Normally he never cries. He fusses when he's upset, but I never see him crying. The only other times I've ever seen him behave this way was during the holidays after parties or large gatherings when he's got dozens of people wanting to play with him and coo at him. Just like with the food, he's all smiles and giggles at the time, but then once we get home from the party, he melts down and has to be held and soothed.

So, my question is, is this a sign that he's not ready for solids, or is this just part of the process and he'll get used to it eventually? He really does seem to love it at the time, and when he sees me eating he always grabs at my food. I'm trying to be careful to keep the feeding sessions to short periods of time.

· Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi - I'd like to revisit this and hopefully get some responses. DS had another mini-mwltdown when feeding him today. Am I doing something wrong? Gould I take this as a sign that he's not ready for solids? The thing is, it only seems to happen maybe 50% of the time. Other times he seems to love it. Even the times when he gets upset, taking him away from the food only gets Him more upset. I have not found any correlation with meltdowns and what/when/how I'm feeding him.

I'm not trying to push solids, but if I wait until he's older, he may have the same reaction. And he does otherwise seem ready.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.