Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"The opposite appears to be true for a baby who is spoon fed, especially if foods are presented as purees containing more than one flavour. In this situation the baby has no way of isolating any flavour he doesn't like and will tend to reject the whole meal. Since his parents can only guess which food is causing the problem, they risk more food rejection until they track it down. In the meantime, the baby learns not to trust food and the range of foods he will accept can become severely limited."
this was quoted in a page that was posted some time back and I KNEW IT!!!

First of all ds was fed "tradtionally". The stupid rice cereal, purees, new food every 3-4 days blah blah blah. Know what happened?! He bacame an incredibly picky eater! He didn't like chunks in his food for a VERY long time and overall I see the whole thing stemming from "baby food!" So I have decided (before dd was even born!) that this time will be completely different! I just want to give her whatever, let her make a mess and let everything go however she wants. No purees, no rice cereal, nothing that isn't what an adult would eat. BUT I want to make sure to introduce foods in the right "order". I am not sure about if offering sweeter foods first would "ruin" her palete for tangier or blander foods later on. Fruits are notoriasly said to be a good first food but I want to give her a chance to have other stuff (and meat!) and LIKE it. What first foods did you give, how did you prepare them, and what were your babies reactions?

DD is 6 months and 1 week. I have given her small bits of rice or a piece of chicken but she didn' swallow the chicken but did swallow the rice. I DON"T want to feed her though. Reading the article was a good point that baby needs to feed themselves and allows them to stay safe, on the right diet and not take more than she wants. I know at first shes not going to eat anything but maybe mush and play with it but I want to give her the right foods to play with so when she EATS it its not the "wrong" food (i.e. a fry or some other pretty food that isn't quite right as a first bite!).

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
All three of mine had table foods from six months on. I never once purchased a jar or "baby food" - can't see paying so much for a jar of carrots if I was making them for the family anyways. I never made anything special, or changed something because of the babies. I have three phenomenal eaters now.

Here's some more info on the myths of first foods: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9646449

·
Registered
444 Posts
When you say you offered your baby table foods at six months, can you give me some examples of what you would offer. My son wont eat any purees, but loves to suck and chew on peaches and plums that we are eating. Where do we go from here? He is 8 months. I read the chart so I understand what foods when. Last night I was eating a piece of whole wheat toast and he wanted some...what do you do? should I give him the whole piece, let him nibble of the crust. The bread has some nuts in it and sugar as well so I wasnt sure it was good for him.
Thanks in advance,
Sarah

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I've never read any charts, but (dredging up my senile memory), some of the things they ate were scrambled eggs, over-cooked pasta, potatos (pretty much any way I cooked them), meats like fish/tuna/crab - soft meats, overcooked carrots, breads plain or with peanut butter or jellies, pretty much any fruit, etc. etc.

I really didn't think about it, it was pretty much whatever we were eating (short of steak!). It's nice not to have to try to rack my brain for something for the babies to eat - it was simply dinner. But, unlike a lot of posters here (don't flame me, I'm old and set in my ways), I also didn't worry about the sugars and stuff in breads. Everything in moderation, a slice of sweet bread won't have a negative effect on a body.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Well i would just like to say that i did NOT do the cereal, puree, blah blah 'traditonal' stuff. And yet, my DS at 11 months is still quite picky, and still will not let mama help him except with yogurt SOMETIMES when i don't freeze it (i freeze chunks so he can feed himself).

So although I'm glad you are skipping the stuff you don't need to do, you can still end up with a picky eater doing self-feeding method.

we started with avocado and sweet potatoe. Never took the avocado, and still won't take much savory things except cheese and bread (no veggies for example).

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mom2bja View Post
All three of mine had table foods from six months on. I never once purchased a jar or "baby food" - can't see paying so much for a jar of carrots if I was making them for the family anyways. I never made anything special, or changed something because of the babies. I have three phenomenal eaters now.

Here's some more info on the myths of first foods: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9646449
thats great that a large news network is catching on!
I also heard the same stuff from my mom about the indian curries and such. i am still wondering what to do about seating though. ds is still in his high chair and we only have one kitchen chair (we don't eat at the kitchen table ever
so I am not sure where to put dd.

i seem to forget to give her stuff though! i go on eating my dinner and she just still seems like a tiny little baby...not the 6 monther she already is! (not to say shes still not an infant but she can try this stuff now!
)

i gave her a slice of pear yesterday but she didn't even put it in her mouth. dog ate it...

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mkmama View Post
Well i would just like to say that i did NOT do the cereal, puree, blah blah 'traditonal' stuff. And yet, my DS at 11 months is still quite picky, and still will not let mama help him except with yogurt SOMETIMES when i don't freeze it (i freeze chunks so he can feed himself).

So although I'm glad you are skipping the stuff you don't need to do, you can still end up with a picky eater doing self-feeding method.

we started with avocado and sweet potatoe. Never took the avocado, and still won't take much savory things except cheese and bread (no veggies for example).
i wouldn't say he is picky at 11 months, a lot of babies just don't want to eat much at that age.
we've always given alice whatever was on our plates, she'll try just about anything.

·
Registered
618 Posts
My DD is about 7.5 months. We give her whatever we're eating with the exception of the big allergenic foods: cow's milk, soy, egg whites, peanuts & other nuts, and seafood & shellfish. We actually haven't been very careful about avoiding wheat though. She eats pita bread, pear slices, peas, squash, oatmeal, guacamole, shredded chicken, bananas, sweet potatos, even pickles! The only thing she's hated so far is applesauce. Oh, also, we haven't introduced anything tomato-based or any of the berries - they don't usually cause allergies, but they're strong enough to upset little tummies and cause diaper rash, I hear.

We have no food allergies in the family, so we're really pretty relaxed about it. She's still getting 98% of her calories from breastmilk - the foods she eats now are just about experimentation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.