Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>So!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm pregnant with #2, due in June.  I am currently a patient of Dr. Kathryn Reed's (at UMC) but although I love her very much, I wasn't that happy with the overall experience delivering #1 at UMC, and it looks very unlikely Dr. Reed would even be there when I'll be delivering, so I am hoping to transfer care to a female OB/GYN with either a solo or very small practice.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I've heard very good things about Dr. Catherine Westerband who delivers at Northwest.  Has anyone here had her as a doc who would be willing to answer some questions for me?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>We are on the central / east side, so although I've heard good things about the Landher / Tassone team, I think their office is a bit far for us.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My first birth was an induction necessitated by medical circumstances (valley fever, cholestasis) at 36 weeks.  Miraculously, I was able to deliver vaginally after several days of pitocin and finally getting an epidural at 3cm.  I had been hoping for a natural birth, and I am hoping that this time around I will not have any weird medical stuff come up.  I have high blood pressure but it is in the low normal range with medication at present. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>If you have any experience with Tucson OBs who have small practices please let me know.  I'm also looking for feedback on the various hospitals (TMC and Northwest, in particular).</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks in advance!</p>

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<p>Hey there.  We met once, I probably told you all this at Bentley's, lol.  But I was previously 'risked out' at the birth center for having GERD and a history of depression.  I did go to the El Rio midwives during part of my last pregnancy but while I really liked one midwife, was frustrated at the way another midwife handled my care (told me my severe itching was just normal, and that I just had a cold - which ultimately landed me in the hospital and turned out to be a rampant valley fever infection, from which my lungs are scarred & have nodules).  So I don't want to go back to that practice either.  Home birth is not an option for us.  So yeah, at this time I'm only looking at OBs.  I was hoping for feedback on ones with smaller / solo practices.  We have AHCCCS, and I'm considering switching my plan so I can see Dr. Westerband... but as I will then need to also find a new GP (mine only takes the AHCCCS plan we have) I was hoping for more feedback first.  :)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks!</p>

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
<p>The birth center is now owned by el rio, so it's possible their policies have changed. Personally, I'd give it a try. All you have to lose is a little time and a co-pay.</p>

·
Registered
7 Posts
<p>i very much enjoyed Dr. janet warner at Generations OB/GYN. I actually saw Dr. Victor Chen in the same practice and because of medical risks, i had a c/s with #1 and my hopes for a VBAC were considered until my risk level went to high once again. Dr. Warner was my delivering doctor b/c Dr. Chen was scheduled out of town. While she was finishing up ( i was much less nervous and heartbroken the second time) we had a nice chat about hypnobirthing and her interest in it (she may have had her child that way, or was planning too). Even though they are a 4-5 doctor practice, you pretty much stick with your doctor. They are supportive of natural methods and from what i heard (and believe me, i checked) they are more liberal with vbac situations, when other doctors automatically shut that down. I think that speaks to the nature of the practice. </p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts