Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>So our reintroduction trial today was not planned- DD started shrieking for some of DH pizza at lunch. She hadn't had any wheat/gluten directly ever and none through my BM in 10+months (I've been off it too). Her reactions before were bruised looking butt, red line up butt and lots of nightwaking.  DH said, "Its not like she's sleeping much anyway" (she's been cutting molars and canines this week and up every 30-60 minutes at night) and we decided to let her have a couple bites of plain crust.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>At her diaper change before bed, DH called for me to come look at her butt because it was much redder than usual.  Unfortunately our light at the changing table is broken so I saw that it was red and bruised looking but it was too dim to see really well. It was clear that the diaper containedpoop that was remains of our lunch. When he wiped her there were what appeared to be some dropsof blood.  They were bright red looking- not much just smears on 2-3 different wipes. He thought it might be a tomato but I looked through the poop and while there were some bits of tomato in there, none were letting off anything that would result in the red smears we had.  She hasn't had any beets or any constipation either.  She has only bled anally from constipation once in her life and that was about 9-10 months ago.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So my conclusion is this is blood- perhaps intestinal distress of some kind and we should back back off the gluten/wheat.  What are the thoughts of you more-allergy-experienced mamas?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If there is something else that can explain this away that I'm not thinking of, please let me know.  If this is a common occurance in sensitivities, I would also appreciate your sharing this.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Other sensitivities for DD include dairy, soy, processed corn, & blueberries. Perhaps chocolate.</p>
<p>It's good to get clear on this as we have some pasta and bread-loving family with children coming from Italy in for a few weeks around the holidays and this could be complicated if we are not crystal clear about what DD can and cannot have.</p>
<p>I'd really love for these sensitivities not to be an issue anymore (I loved having some bread with lunch when she had some crust) but more than anything I want to keep DD safe and healthy. Thanks so much!!!</p>

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
<p>So an update:</p>
<p>DD slept poorly but not much worse than with teething.  It was different anyway because I was really sick all night and waking her up as I got up to throw up. :(   We are trying to figure how I got so sick and whether it could be food poisoning or having bread again the first time in so long.  Could an unknown gluten/wheat sensitivity cause food poisoning like symptoms if had for the first time in 10 or so months? The vomiting started 11-12 hours after I had the bread and lasted all night (and was really violent).  DH and DD were not sick (thank God!) It started with cramping and bloating (my belly looked pregnant again!) and feeling nausiated.  I'm less concerned about my symptoms than DD because I figure they'll pass (still feeling sick and weak here) but while they seem like food poisoning, if they are related to reintroducing gluten in any way then it's another piece of  the puzzle.</p>
<p>Thanks Mamas!</p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
<p>I would most definitely consider that a fail for both of you and stay the heck away from gluten. Sorry, I know it is hard but I think it is the most dangerous "food-like" substance since it can cause so much damage. I had a Kit-Kat on Halloween, the first time I have had gluten in almost 2 years (I am no longer bfing but we maintain a gf household) and I spent the whole next morning in the bathroom and had patches of eczema pop up so I won't be tempted for a good long while.</p>

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<p>Deditus- thank you for your reply! So I feel a bit clueless about this. Is getting really sick like happened to me and you a usual symptom of benig gluten sensitive? I've gone from throwing up all night to the big D all day. I would normally think this is food poisoning but now I'm not so sure. Is drops of blood in a diaper a comon baby reaction?</p>
<p>Thanks!</p>

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
<p>I don't throw up from gluten exposure, but I do feel like I have the flu and have severe intestinal symptoms the next day.  I'm not much of a vomiter though.  I think those symptoms for both of you are definitely in the realm of normal for a gluten reaction.</p>

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<p>Thanks, Mamas! I'm wondering what kind of testing you recommend, if any. It sounds like some of you work from experiemce and go from there. DH just said this morning that maybe we should try gluten/wheat on her again in a couple months. I don't believe this is a good idea. I talked with our chiropracter about doing muscle testing on me when I see him tomorrow but he said if there was blood in her diaper and it's not an anal fissure (I  don't see any), I should get her professionally tested. Are folks on this board more pro on blood testing, fecal testing? I've spoken with enterolabs before so I am aware of them (and their high, un-reimburseable costs)  Would love more input, recommendations, BTDT experience. Thanks so much!</p>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts