Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a newly pregnant friend and I have been raving to her about babywearing. I have slung all 3 of my boys. She lives in Tybee Island, GA and is wondering if slings would be too hot for the baby. I told her that even in IL it gets hot in the summer and it has never been an issue for me. I told her that babies are carried in slings in Africa/South America/Tropical Regions. It is a question I never gave much thought to.... but I don't live on an island off the coast of GA. Any specific recommendations on fabric or carrier? I have been talking to her about maya wraps and native pouches because they are primarily what I use and am most familiar with.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The ultimate baby wrap by parents of invention is great for hot weather or cold. It's made of jersey knit (t-shirt material). It doesn't often get a good review from babywearers because it is so stretch and bouncy, but I have one and it is very safe and very cool on stinking hot summer days. The bounciness is a plus when you have a tiny infant because you can pop her in and out with ease, but the stretchiness starts to get annoying when the baby gets to be around 16 lbs. It was a great introduction to babywearing for me, and got me hooked on it. Now, I'm after a Kozy, since everyone is raving about them.

·
Registered
837 Posts
What is she thinking about using?<br>
For a ring sling, I love linen in warmer weather - just a nice light linen material.<br>
You can get gauze wraps - Gypsy Mama wraps are supposed to be great in hot weather. I've never tried a GM but heard good things.<br><br>
But my fave was a ring sling in a light fabric, for warmer weather.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I am currently using an ergo for my 4mo dd. I live in Maryland and it gets pretty hot and humid here. Yes, the ergo is a little warm, since it has a padded body, but its not too bad. Its not ideal, I guess, but it works. I go outside with my dd, we just stay in the shade as much as possible and that helps.<br>
I think a mei tai would be a good option, as many have unpadded bodies and are made of cotton twill. Or a cotton gauze wrap. Gypsy Mama has one that looks really nice- the Bali Baby Breeze wrap. I don't really have any advice on slings, as my girls never liked them.<br>
Any babywearing is going to be hotter than not, but I would rather be a little hot and have a happy baby, then feel cooler but have a crying baby who just wants to be held. And I think my baby feels the same way- she'd rather feel a little warm and be held than feel cooler but alone. And my older dd felt the same way when she was an infant. I just dress them cool- just a diaper if we are at home. Lightweight cotton for going out, and I dress cool too.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I would steer her towards thin, breathable fabrics. The pp's have good ideas... thin wraps, linen ring slings, etc.<br><br>
For wraps, thin ones like Gypsy Mama Bali Baby Breeze, Ellaroo, Calin Bleu gauze, and Vatanai are all good options. Another thing is to learn carries that require shorter wraps, so it isn't layered over you and baby so many times. A rebozo is another good option. You can use a rebozo lots of different ways. Bara Barn is a very thin rebozo that's nice for summer.<br><br>
I've been making ring slings with linen fabric and they are nice and breathable.<br><br>
Another good option would be a solarweave Connecta.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all your help mamas.... I will pass on your thoughts.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I have an Ellaroo ring sling that I love and I am in sunny, hot, and humid FL. It stays cool enough that I wore it at our family reunion last week in 95 degree weather for 4 hours and babe stayed cool.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Another option is the babywearing DVD from Tummy2Tummy because then they can see experts using all of the basic types of carriers and decide based on that whether they think they need a wrap, pouch, mei tai or ring sling.<br><br>
That way they can pick the size/pattern themselves. Soemtimes tricky to do when shopping for someone else.<br><br>
-Vijay

1 - 9 of 9 Posts